Hand held Scanner

cavalier

Is it just for avation frequencies? If so, why not buy a Vertex VXA220 which ALSO Transmits? They are $179 - $189 in the USA and landed will cost you with a power adapter from Trickie Dickies no more than $250 with a 3 year warranty (try Aircraft Spruce) You'll pay a lot more than that for a scanner!

Guest OzChris

Just keep in mind - like most things in life - you get what you pay for.

I agree with the above - spend a little more and get a transciever...much better value for money. I use the Vertex VXA-220 and would highly recommend it!

Guest Cat on a PC©

Transmit? On the airband frequency? Unless you are actually a pilot in an aircraft, how is that legal?

Last time I looked it most certainly wasn't.

All you can do is listen. A scanner is fine.

I've had a Uniden Bearcat N32, Model UBC120XLT (100 channel 9 band), for some years - we bought it to scan emergency services but it also handles aviation frequencies very well.

I also have a secondhand Terra TR720 airband transceiver, about time I tossed it away and got a Vertex or ICOM handheld transceiver - we use them for coaching aerobatics so we transmit from the ground, plus it is useful to have a backup for the aircraft radio when flying.

It all depends on what you want to listen to. With the majority of police and emergency services moving to digital frequencies you won't hear much nowdays anyway.

If you are a pilot you can legally have the radio with you for emergency purposes or radio failure in flight (I use my Vertex 220 for this) or if you are in any way associated with a flying school it can be used under them legally. If it's just for home use, don't transmit and you'll be fine (and legal).

I recently got the Uniden UBC93XLT and its fantastic!

Small, portable, and comes with rechargable batteries and charger!

I also have the Maycom AR-108. Its TINY and also good for airshows etc.

Good luck at choosing the right scanner!

Guest David C
I recently got the Uniden UBC93XLT and its fantastic!Small, portable, and comes with rechargable batteries and charger!

I've just bought one too . They are a good little unit and great value for money too . I have no trouble pulling in SYD approach controller at 34 NM distant and it performs well on other bands as well . They are easy to program and use . For the money I would recommend it . I add I have also owned Icom and AOR scanners , in many ways the Uniden beats them hands down . I'm still using a Uniden Bearcat which is almost 20 years old on a daily basis .... The Icom and AOR have long since died !!!

Dave C