Can I do this!!!

Spriteah

I've been pondering a question. With the anticipated changes to the weights allowable to ultralights in the near future does anything stop you from fitting a Jab or rotax motor in a C150,152 and registering it as an RAA aircraft?

Guest Fred Bear

I'm not sure but I saw a C150 for sale at Narromine last year for 35K and we were saying then it was a good buy with the new weight proposal and all. I don't think you would even need to fit the Jab/Rotax in it but then the problem you have is the expensive 100 hourly on the continentals.

The C150 gross is 727 kgs with the 0-200 Continental. As is, it would become a factory built, and so, eligible for training ops.

Once you change anything, it would then fall into experimental, and so become only private use. With a 3300 Jabiru installed it would be quite a performer.

One thing to remember about cheap C150's - the radios are more often than not the 1970's originals, and not really all that reliable. You'd need to factor in a new COM, TXP + mode C and also a GPS. The interiors and paint can be readily fixed up locally - but avionics ...not without spending a few $$$

cheers,

C o G

Looking at the weights of Continentals and Jab 3300 the are very close. Put it into a aerobat and let the fun begin!!!

Just something to keep in the back of my mind. Roll on tattslotto.

When you put in a different motor you will need a different engine mount and very likely a new prop, so you can adjust the C of G easily with the mount.

If you could register a C150 with RAAus, why would you change the motor, surely the maintenance would change and it would no longer be a certified engine, but the Jab or Rotax, also would not allow the plane to be used for training.

Questions. Can an owner or part owner of an uncertified or non factory built aircraft have flying training in that aircraft legally? Could you legally buy a share in an aircraft, learn to fly in it and then sell your share, when you have a licence?

Engine weight problems.

The installation of a very light engine, without extending the nose, can result in a hopelessly tailheavy aircraft. The C-150 with the cont 0-200 ( nominally 100HP) is a marginal performer, and the C-152 with the Lycoming 0-235 (115 HP), is better in this regard. They also spin a larger Dia prop than a Jabiru 3300, so would perform relatively better on take-off with the original engines. Both the Cont. and the Lycoming have high TBO's so the cost per hour,(overhaul component) would work out at less than the Rotax. In addition there are numerous certified propellors available for these engines. I wouldn't be in a hurry to "ditch " them. The Texas Taildragger is an interesting variant of the C150/152,or the aerobat.

Ian , you posted at the same time as me . The situation you describe Re. multiple ownership has happened before and provided that the instructor is willing, it happens. Thinking about it , I suppose it could be subject to abuse like many things. Nev...

At first I would have said that you can't change a GA factory built to Experimental but then I remembered a Gazelle that was GA registered, then RA-Aus, then the owner sold it saying that it could be GA registered, so the owner had to stand by his committment to have the aircraft GA registered prior to sale and standing by his word he did get it GA registered, however it was put into Experimental! Needless to say that the new owner was not impressed however there was little he could do based on his contract of purchase.

Seemingly to me aside from losing the ability to train in the aircraft another down side of such an operation would be that it would need to be LAME maintained in GA experimental because you did not build the aircraft.

Unfortunately you can't train in an amateur built aircraft unless you are the builder which is a pain if you and some mates join a syndicate because you can't train legally in it.