Camden to tooradin

motzartmerv

G'day.. Im planning a flight from camden to tooradin, i havn't got the melb VNC yet so its hard to plan properly the last leg.. I am going to track camden-golbourn-Tumut-Wangaratta and thats where i get stuck..Theres a fair bit of tiger country between wangaratta and tooradin direct, how far does the melb control zone poke up into the north east?..id prefer to stay to the west of that high country if i could..

any tips??

cheers

Motza,

Having flown that route (from Canberra at least), suggest from Wangaratta head direct Mangalore - Kilmore Gap - VFR Route to Lilydale (OCTA) - Tooradin. That track will keep you west of the ranges from Albury to Kilmore. A few of the guys here are Tooradin locals who can confirm the best path for the KMG - Tooradin component.

Cheers,

Matt.

I planned a flight down there but it didn't eventuate due weather so I haven't actually done it, so this isn't very good advice!!

I planned coastal, avoiding high terrain and enjoying the view on the way down. I'm sure it's longer than the inland route though. I planned via Moruya, Merimbula (fuel), Mallacoota, Lakes Entrance (Great Lakes), down the lane past Sale, over Yarram.

Is something exciting happening at Tooradin that I don't know about? If so, I'll be there!

Mangalore, Lilydale as discussed is a good idea and if the cloud is low, it's really the only way to go safely.

After you leave Wang, head to Euroa airstrip and then head due south down the 145.5 degree line, over the Strathbogie Range, past the strip at Murrundindi, over the Great Divide, south east of Glenburn until you reach Tooradin. CTA is at 8500 feet. Forget about Mangalore and Kilmore Gap. If you need to come below 4500 you can fly through the Glenburn Gap, just north west of Healesville with Coldstream and Lilydale strips just off to your right.

David