Typical Flight mission Profiles, recreational aircraft

kinglukexiv

Hi all

I am part of a recently started university project, in which we are attempting to design a LSA at the University of New South Wales.

As part of our initial study we are considering the flight and handling characteristics that we would like our design to achieve. As part of this, we need to know typical mission profiles that a recreational aircraft would perform.

If there are any recreational pilots out there, what would a flight mission profile for:

-circuit training for a license

- a typical cross country journey

- general flying

be? Does it involve, for example, takeoff, adjusting a heading and following it for a certain time, then landing, or are they typically more complex?

I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Also, if there are any LSA pilots out there, are there any features on current LSAs which you would like to see? Do you prefer maneuverability, top speed or any other features?

Cheers

kinglukexiv

Also, if there are any LSA pilots out there, are there any features on current LSAs which you would like to see? Do you prefer maneuverability, top speed or any other features?

I myself am not yet a licensed pilot, as I am still saving up the funds, but I get the Australian Aviation magazine monthly and I read through the AirTest section where they test an aircraft. Some things that I personally like to see are:

- an uncluttered cockpit. Make sure the cockpit is well organised and laid out purposefully, don't just throw gauges anyway.

- good speed. Definately an aircraft that has a cruise speed of 100+ knots. If it also has slow stall speeds it can be great for learning pilots as they have a larger margin for error (which can sometimes be a bad thing!!)

- manouverability. If you can make it manouverable it can again be good for learning pilots.

I personally prefer a digital cockpit, without going too advanced with the PFD and nav displays but in the end it's up to you.

Good luck :biggrin:

James

Outside of a training environment -

Speed

Short takeoff

Good fuel range

Engine and airframe reliability

Baggage space

Low capital cost

Low maintenance cost

... essentially, the holy grail is what pilots are after. This is a short list.

For training operations, same things but in a very different priority.

Here in the U.S., initial and operating/maintenance costs are what is hurting general aviation. I think GAJab's list is right on in this respect.

IMHO, simplicity is what keeps costs down. No electric trim or flaps, no fancy, expensive "glass cockpits", and very durable engines and airframes.

At least, that's what I would look for.