iPad in the cockpit

Vev

An interesting article about using iPads for navigation charts in commercial airliners.

I have been using one in a GA/Raa application for a short time running the locally developed Ozrunways app and find it every bit as good or better than purpose built GPS maps systems I had been using .... I wonder if the ipad is going to be demise of purpose built GPS systems?

http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/ipads-for-cockpits-ga-next

Cheers

Vev

Hi SP ... you need an ipad with 3G, so the base model is $750 plus just under the $100 mark for the OZrunways software.

I use a knee board ... not had any issue with light issues.

Cheers

Vev

Has anyone made a dash type mounting bracket / clip for the I pad yet? I could see that would have a real application, leaving your lap free for your flight plan or anything else you may want to run concurrently.

I could be completely wrong but I am always worried about accidentally pressing on the wrong part of the screen when it is on your lap or knee when you may have something else on top and then being distracted while you get the I pad back to the page you were using.

Guest BlackRod
Has anyone made a dash type mounting bracket / clip for the I pad yet? . . .

Our mutual friend used his on my final NavEx/Test to Mudgee. He had it on a knee pad and was pretty happy with it. There was a brief time when the sunlight made it difficult to read. That was in a high wing. He did wonder out loud how it would go in a low wing/bubble canopy.

Not a reflection on OzRunways but reflections from the screen - if you know what I mean. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a panel mount available already. And I can see the iPad replacing the more expensive GPS systems from Garmin and AvMap.

Not sure how it integrates in to systems like SkyView and dependent AutoPilots, etc.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a panel mount available already.

Don,

I just jumped onto Spruce and you are correct there seems to be quite a number of different panel and other mounting options on the market.

Cheers

Vev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Regarding mounts for the iPad & iPhone look at this web site: http://www.ram-mount.com/

I have used 1 for my old Garmin GPS90 for a number of years and recently bought 1 for my iPhone.

These guys make good gear, not the the usual flea market stuff. A bit pricey, $35-00 for the iPone.

Basically you choose a type of mounting and add the holder for what ever unit you use.

The supplier here in Brissy is Johnny Appleseed GPS.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave B.