Flown from my own strip

newairly

Yesterday I finally realised my dream of flying my own plane from my own place.:thumb_up:

I have a Tyro Mk2 which I brought home 2 days ago, on a trailer, from Inverell airport where I have been getting used to it. I have cut a 250m grass strip in the paddock behind the house and built a small hanger to house things.

Yesterday afternoon, in the calm of the evening I summoned up the courage to put it all to the test. And it works! A 250m strip looks awfully small from the air at first but I still only used about half, both for take off and landing. Now all I need is lots more practice. Looking forward to it.

For anyone intertested, the hanger is 10m opening, 7m deep and 2.7 clearance with an open front. It uses 10m long commercial timber trusses for the roof supported on steel RHS poles. The covering is corrugated second hand Colorbond (donated) The cost, without the iron was under $2,000. This is a very cheap and easy way to get a hanger. At the moment the floor is dirt but I may put down a floor of crusher dust mixed with some raked in cement powder. This is lightly watered and then wacked down with a plate wacker. I have put tie down points in the floor for the plane.

Phil

what engine you running in that tyro, newairly? I knew a fellow built a tyro 11 with vw motor. Unfortunately I lost his email before I got a chance to find out how it went after the first flight or two. Like the look of the tyro, nice little job.

what engine you running in that tyro, newairly? I knew a fellow built a tyro 11 with vw motor. Unfortunately I lost his email before I got a chance to find out how it went after the first flight or two. Like the look of the tyro, nice little job.

It has a Rotax 447 with a Bolly 3 blade prop.

Should climb like a rocket with a bigger motor.

Phil