What Would She Be Worth?

Guest Chris Spencer-Scarr

Hi All,

My Dad and I still have an '81 P32R-301T Turbo Saratoga in South Africa. We have relocated to Australia and are considering bringing her here rather than trying to sell her in SA.

She has approx 3300 hrs TTSN with 80 on an an overhauled motor. Prop has 80 since midlife.

[ATTACH=full]1072[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1073[/ATTACH]

She was completely stripped and resprayed in 2008 with new interior. Permanently hangared in a lock up hangar.

She has...

- Colour radar

- coupled 3 axis autopilot

- airconditioner

- RNAV with HSI

- 6 place intercom

- Club seating

- No accident history.

What would she sell for in Australia?

How difficult is it (and what would the process be) to get her on the VH register?

I look forward to any advice please.

[ATTACH]18147[/ATTACH]

571600203_MOI3.jpg.ae2c3af87ae0464f605d503427f8da7d.jpg

Casa will have a set of indeciferable regs for bringing an aircraft into Australia, I guess the easiest way would be to get in touch with someone who does it regularly to act as a broker for you, not sure about SE QLD , but Brian Jones in Melbourne does a lot of importing ,I wouldn't have a clue what it's worth but it certainly looks like a nice one

Brians email (and other than having met him a few times I have no other connection with him ,but he does seem have a good reputation)

wings@aircraftsalesc

entre.com.au

Hi Chris, hard to say what she is worth.Turbo Saratoga's are pretty rare here.Turbo aircraft can be hard to sell here due to we not having very high mountains(Not greatly sort after).Not always though.The TC320 Airvan sells well.Could have a better payload.Dunno about that. As per Importing it.You have have to realy do some research.I have researched a couple of locals companies in SE QLD.(I live there). I wasnt happy with the qoutes.(prices where exactly the same, nah they havent been talking to each other lol).There are a few guys here that have imported or who know of companies (Like Metalman above).Who know of good guys..

Example- To bring a Cessna 100 series/Vans RV etc into Aus, from the USA and put on the register is about $30 000.( no hassle turn key with our VH rego) Piper can be more expensive due to the fuse having to go into a jig.(main wheels being attached to the wings).There was a SA company that has a very good reputation of freighting light aircraft around the world.I ATM cant remember who they where.I can find out for you if you like?

Hi Chris,

I can put you in contact with the guy that brought our C172 out from the USA. He is based at Archerfield. Give me call.

Otherwise how are you guys settling in, converted your PPL yet?

Cheers

Dave Butler

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

Firstly I have to say what a magic looking aircraft. Really looks like you gave it the best possible life you could over there in Africa!

Looks like most people have covered the answers on bringing it out here, it's not impossible nor necessarily impractical. I used to know a guy who bought his cherokee six out from SA and had it put on the register.

The turbo issue everyone else has mentioned has some weight, but this obviously a high performance IFR machine and if you market to that category you will get some bites, the hard core GA pilots who have lots of money and go IFR like the turbos for the extra performance up high. There is a market out here for them, it's just not a huge one.

For price as total ball park figures I would think somewhere around the $170,000 to $200,000 mark. I know it is a pritty wide margin I have given but thats because as people have said there not often for sale out here and so only really able to go off what a good lance or saratoga non turboed would get (for non turbo's I would think $170,000 is about the highest mark). Hope that helps a little!

Thank you all for your responses. I must admit that I never realised that turbos would be an issue - a huge number of our airfields are above 5000ft. Point taken.

She will stay on the market in SA for another 2 months. If there are no takers I will take Dazza and Dave up on your offer of info.

Thank you for the pricing Louis. That sounds about right, and exactly where she is pegged in SA. That said, the price is right, but no one is parting with cash!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Dazza/Dave and anyone else with info.....

I please need guidance.

The Saratoga will arrive at Brisbane Port in a 40ft container with an export C of A.

What is involved and what will it cost to get her assembled, registered and flying at in Australia?

Please let me know if you have any contacts.

Chris

oh 452 two one six 012