Kit-built Helicopter Query

red750

The helicopter below is a 4 seat Hummingbird 260L, built from a kit, and is based on the Sikorsky S52, with a JetRanger nose. All parts are certified (at least in the US, but it can only fly in the experimental category as it is kit built). I was unaware that there was, or had been, one in Australia until I saw this photo. I have been unable to locate it in the Australian register, so I am assuming the machine is no longer flying. The airport looks a little like OOL (looks tropical, 737 or Airbus at the terminal).

Does anyone know anything about this aircraft?

[ATTACH=full]1198[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18189[/ATTACH]

hummingbird_contact.jpg.b0c8d74b17cefa5b827ee626efb55059.jpg

Looking further into this helicopter, I found that the machine in the photo is the first of its kind in Australia. There are now 3 on the Australian register.

Here is a link to another photo of this aircraft:

http://www.jetphotos.net/link/photo_link.php?id=6559932

Guest avi8tr

I'm not sold on the home built chopper concept. I'd have to go with something commercial. I don't have those reservations on a fixed wing however.

Guest avi8tr

Unless I'm mistaken, the couple of mini's I've seen have 582's in them and would barely get off the ground. The guys that own them don't have licences so they just trailer them around for people to look at!

This was my last ride in a chopper, a Hughes 369. This is a beast of a machine, ex-Vietnam.

Guest Michael Coates

Ahhh.. Helicopters.... I always say "Have you ever been to a vintage helicopter fly-in..." no, me neither... Its cause they dont last long enough to make the vintage category !

:eek:

Guest avi8tr

Yep that's the VicPol Dauphine pushing the boundaries a little :-)

Didn't realise they had a sim, that would be a lot of fun!

Yet another attack on Moorabbin Airport with calls to close it, despite the fact that the airport was there before most of them were born, and they knew about it when they moved into the area. If they get their way, you will soon need a helicopter to get to an airport, it will be too far to drive. Just as ridiculous as suggesting Sydney's second airport should be in Canberra.

Here is a video of the Hummingbird. If you are not into Russian folk singing, you might want to mute your speakers.

PS. The Sikorsky S52, on which 90% of the Hummingbird is based, was one of the first helicopters to perform a loop, in 1948.

Here is a video of the Hummingbird.

Video claims to be the first Hummingbird flown in Russia. That S-52 is a funny little helicopter, reminds me of the Karmov's.

S-52

[ATTACH=full]1202[/ATTACH]

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18192[/ATTACH]

S-52.jpg.46c6969671de01912ff940b43fbd3072.jpg

Guest avi8tr

Ask MC about the Baby Bell. His customer has one mothballed at home due to its dangerous tendencies. The previous Australian importer and his son died in one a few years back too. The Rotorways aren't much better either and only good for about 200 hours before their custom engines are tbo.

Hi Avi8tr, just as well I dont fly or know much about homebuilt choppers.I did abit of reading about rotorway exec, about 15 years ago.It is ashame that the rotorway engines dont have a decent TBO. The baby bell I know nothing about apart for seeing them in advertising.I do remember reading about the mini 500 choppers crashing alot. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Guest avi8tr

The Rotorway uses a custom Scorpion engine from memory, which was built too light, eg cylinder linings etc. They are great for the US where people go to the airport, have a BBQ, go for a fly with a mate, land, drink Budd Light beer and be merry. They are not a cross country machine in any way even though they are theoretically capable of it.

I know of two B Bells that are mothballed, one of which will never be sold as a completed unit due to the dangerous tendencies that it had. He said it would simply pitch up I controllably without warning. The other one threw a tail rotor blade without warning during the hover and was damaged badly. The quality of the component that failed simply wasn't good enough.

Guest Chris Spencer-Scarr

Hi All,

The text below is copied from another forum where I posted this a couple of years ago.

We were the proud owners of one of the most beautifully assembled Rotorway Execs around. She was assembled by trained technicians.

The helicopter has been likened to having a supermodel for a girlfriend --- but she is HIV positive! She is beautiful, but she WILL kill you.

In 175 hours Total time since new, on a PROFESSIONALLY ASSEMBLED MACHINE under the supervision of Rotorway South Africa, we had:1 Alternator failure

1 Tachometer failure (required replacing)

1 Oil pressure guage failure (required replacing)

1 Water temp failure (required replacing)

3 (three) waterpump failures

5 (Yes FIVE) supercharger belt failures (2 requiring a limited power 'forced landing')

The water reservoir cracked and required repair.

Also.

The engine was opened at 95hrs TOTAL TIME SINCE NEW to replace a piston with a hole in it.

40 hours later, again, same problem.

and 30 hours later again.

The supercharger was replaced.

Then Rotorway advised that they would sell us a reconditioned engine at a discounted price of $15k + VAT + Installation.

We replaced the manifold pressure sensor, throttle position sensor, and barometric sensors all at various stages.

We replaced the battery twice, and the FADECS twice.

Other than this 'unscheduled' maintenance, a Rotorway requires pretty intensive maintenance at 25hr, 50 hr and 100hr intervals. Simple things such as the valves requiring resetting every 50 hours and the MR blade bearings requiring replacement every 100 hours. This means the blades off, and tracking and balancing after re-installation.

The final straw that lead to the aircraft's demise was a tail rotor drive failure.

And all of this work was done by an airforce trained AME who had built a Rotorway himself and maintained 5 of them at one time.

Rotorway have been producing helicopters for close on 25 years, but cannot show me a machine with more than 500 hrs on it. There are more than 40 of the new generation 162s that have flown in SA. There are not more than 5 with more than 100 hrs and to my knowledge only 2 with more than 200 hrs. They are all rotting in the back of hangars around the country. Every Rotorway owner that I have met has had a major engine malfunction or replacement.

The Baby Bell seems to be an awesome helicopter but in SA there we 2 and one went in with a fatality. Blades separated in flight.

The Sanka is also considered a good option. 5 came into SA, 4 no have crashed as a result of a mechanical failure. I lost a close friend in one.

I am a fixed wing test pilot and will happily fly most experimental fixed wing aircraft. Experimental helicopters - NEVER AGAIN!

Guest avi8tr

Most informative. I rest my case!!

I know a guy in Melbourne that built five of them in a factory but I have no idea what happened to them all. I do recall a guy dying in one near Mt Beauty that when it hit Court was looking one grounding all kit but helicopters bit nothing eventuated.