Making an Ultralight fly straight

Spriteah

Hello fellow users. I have finally just purchased my first aircraft being a Xair Hanuman with a Jab 2.2. I have just returned from Qld to Vic in it and found it required some right rudder under cruise power to keep the plane balanced.

I tried adjusting the trim tab but has no real effect. The plane only has 40 hours on it. Im thinking I might need to spacer our the motor on one side to counter the effect.

Any advice on this matter greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim Tatlock.

Jim

Congratulations on your purchase. Are you taking it to Natfly?

Does your aircraft have the rudder offset to the right as standard?

I don't know anything about the std rigging of a Hanuman, but I know that a 230 Jabiru needs to rudder offset to the right by 5 mm at the trailing edge.

I'm sure that Michael Coates can give you the right answer quickly.

Adjustments at the rudder are a lot easier than adjusting or adding spacers at the hot end.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Regards Geoff

Offset Not sure

Thanks Geoff I will be chatting to Michael very soon. The motor appears to be mounted to the right looking from the cockpit which you counter the rotation. I'll have to perused some build litriture asap.

Im sure I can make some changes and get it neat but any clues appreciated.

Jim

Hi Jim.

A simple bit of aluminium rivetted to the rudder may be the best way.

Give it an area of your choosing and a starting angle of about 30 degrees.

Then the aerodynamic forces are working for you to counteract any out-of-balance build artefacts. Beats the hell out of shimming the engine mounts. You can then alter the angle of the tab as required.

Warning - I'm a clueless noob. The above information may be complete rubbish. Your results may vary. Consult a lawyer before acting on any information in this post. Don't even read this post. Consider it a canker on the body of accumulated aeronautical knowledge. A region of pus on an otherwise intact epidermis. Obtain the full product disclosure statement first. Consult your physician before undertaking the suggested action. Advice invalid in certain states and where precluded by law. No responsibilty can be assumed by the advising party. Play safe. Stay in school. Don't eat yellow snow.

Jim

I just had a squizz at the Hanuman assembly instructions located at http://www.mcp.com.au/xair/manuals/X-Air%20Hanuman%20Build%20Manuals/Hanuman-Assembly-Manual-2007.pdf and they say that the rudder should be straight along the longit. axis with the rudder pedals even ......... so ignore the suggestion in my last post and take up your issue direct with Michael.

On my J230 the engine is offset to counter rotation and the rudder is also offset, I think to counter propwash. Thought yours might be the same.

Sorry about the bummm steer.

Regards Geoff