Getting A Ppl?

ben170292

Hi,

For a few years I have been wanting to attempt to get my PPL but I can never find any sites for Melbourne that I can read about how to get started, if anyone can link me that would be awesome.

Also how much do lessons usually cost? Including plane hire? What are the requirements to be able to get a PPL?

And finally any companies in the northern suburbs of Melbourne that can give me lessons?

Thanks for any help provided, any other information would also be great.

Ben,

www.pac.asn.au/

www.mfs.com.au/ (and there are more than this at Moorabbin)

Caveat: I have no affiliation with these entities and do not comment on their suitability as training providers

So you want to learn to fly. Most of us here started with a training introductory flight (TIF) to see how we liked the training environment including the aircraft and facilities.

Assuming the place you wandered into isn't a complete dud and doesn't send you screaming out the door (joke), the instructor would talk to you about your needs and desires and hopefully be able to tell you that they can help, or direct you to somewhere that can. From there you would have some decisions to make.

A really good pamphlet about learning to fly is the one available from Aviation Theory Centre:

aviationtheory.net.au/include/BAP-001.pdf

aviationtheory.net.au/include/BAP-002.pdf

Remember, its your money so its your decision!

I can't see anything north of Melbourne that is a likely GA airfield. The nearest thing is Puckapunyal which is a military airfield. It may be that you will need to do an intensive course maybe over a few weekends to get to solo, then again to get to GFPT etc etc. Don't write off the aeronautical experience of gliding or three axis ultralights. It all counts plus the ground school theory is the same.

I can get training in Canberra (12nm from home) but I choose to drive to Goulburn.

It may be you find yourself having a long and inconvenient drive to do your training, which is not fun. Sadly its not like hiring a car. I wish it was!

Have you heard of Recreational Aviation? If you just want to fly for fun and not go broke paying landing and tower fees at Moorabin, it would be your best option. http://www.raa.asn.au/

Plenty of recreational schools around Melbourne. If you are up north, then Lillydale and Coldstream could work well for you.