Condamine Airfield

willedoo

Visited Miles Aerodrome, Western Downs, Qld. on the weekend.

Formally Condamine Airfield, it was one of the strategic dispersal strips constructed on the Darling Downs. These were to be used by U.S. B-24 Liberator squadrons to fall back to in the event of Japanese invasion. It's a bit ironic in that Condamine was the only one of the four never used, but is the only one in use today. The airstrip is about 20klm. south of Mies on the Leichardt highway.

It consisted of two main strips, 42 degrees( 7000' x 150') and 135 degrees ( 5000' x 150' ) magnetic.

The 42 degrees strip is the current Miles Airport.

[ATTACH=full]1359[/ATTACH]

WW2 aerial photo shows the two main strips and 50' taxiways. What is now the Leichardt Highway, provided a long central north/south taxiway connecting the main strips and the two east/west taxiways.

[ATTACH=full]1360[/ATTACH]

Current satellite image shows Miles Aerodrome. The southernmost strip & taxiway are still visible, but like a lot of these, are very hard to see on the ground.

[ATTACH=full]1361[/ATTACH]

The airstrip looking east. Had to climb up a big pile of gravel to take the photo over the security fence.

It's unsealed with a sealed patch each end. There's talk of an upgrade, extension & sealing to enable Origin FIFO operations. Maybe we'll see Dash 8's there.

[ATTACH=full]1362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1363[/ATTACH]

This is the section where the southernmost strip joins the Leichardt Highway section of taxiway. Walking through the grass, the pea gravel surfacing is evident & it's still slightly formed above natural ground level.

[ATTACH=full]1364[/ATTACH]

The remains of the southern 135 degree strip looking west.

[ATTACH=full]1366[/ATTACH]

The lower of the two east/west taxiways, connecting the old southern strip to the highway. Fairly evident even after 70 years by the traces of forming & gravel, and a slight change in vegetation.

[ATTACH=full]1365[/ATTACH]

The section of the Leichardt Highway that was the main north/south taxiway. It was possibly just called the Miles/Condamine road back then and wasn't sealed.

[ATTACH=full]1367[/ATTACH]

Old Farm Road, which was the northernmost of the east/west taxiways. Complete with the ever present CSG rig.

[ATTACH=full]1368[/ATTACH]

After all this caper, it was off to Possum Park for the night to take in a bit more RAAF history.

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18268[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18269[/ATTACH]

6.thumb.JPG.bc538a6d8591263cab47f2d72cb6b4e7.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.e6a871093e485bb429941659f7cd2dde.JPG

Formerly RAAF Explosives Reserve, Kowguran, manned by 3 Central Reserve, RAAF, Possum Park nowdays is a tourist accommodation park.

Out of the original 20 underground bomb storage bunkers, 4 have been converted to self-contained motel units. Cabins and powered caravan sites are available as well as converted troop train carriages. Nice quiet place to chill out with a bit of history.

Underground bunker/motel unit. The bunkers are strung out around the ring road and have a lot of privacy, peace and quiet as they are some distance from the main campground. Sitting outside around the barbeque at night, you could be forgiven for thinking you where the only people there.

[ATTACH=full]1369[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1370[/ATTACH]

One of the 16 bunkers not converted to accommodation.

[ATTACH=full]1371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1372[/ATTACH]

Kowguran was a central reserve, not a replentishment centre. There was the usual debate about where to site it. Emerald was on the list, but when it was realised that work on Kowguran was already underway, the present site won out.

[ATTACH=full]1373[/ATTACH]

Some wartime photos.

[ATTACH=full]1374[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]1375[/ATTACH]

Kowguran is sited on a hill with a ring road connecting the bunkers. The area which today houses the caravan park, campsite, cabins & other facilities was the original parade ground. Possum Park is 20klm. north of Miles on the Leichardt Highway.

A couple of links,

http://home.st.net.au/~dunn/ozatwar/possumpark.htm

http://www.possumpark.com.au/

Cheers, Willie.

[ATTACH]18270[/ATTACH]

k6.jpeg.cd308704528298f3ce0f6ba4cf2f7c89.jpeg

Sounds good, Dazza. I'd guess Skytrans would do it.Cheers, Willie.

Hi Wille , ATM we charter a Qantaslink -8 300 series.Every wednesday.Brissy to Roma.

I see that Skytrans is doing well operating from Toowoomba to Sydney.I read about it in a local Chinchilla newspaper.I guess its true.

Hi Wille , ATM we charter a Qantaslink -8 300 series.Every wednesday.Brissy to Roma.I see that Skytrans is doing well operating from Toowoomba to Sydney.I read about it in a local Chinchilla newspaper.I guess its true.

The Sydney service has been around probably for a couple of months now, with fairly solid bookings so I'm told. The fares are pretty good when you compare the 2 hrs.+ drive to Brisbane, parking fees etc. Not sure how long the flight is, but it would be the better alternative for sure.

Certainly adds to the plane spotting experience here being in the flight path. We already have the Trojans and T6's flying formation overhead most weekends, plus all the flight training and recreational aircraft. Getting to watch the -8's on approach is a new bonus.

Cheers, Willie.

• 2 months later...