Dizzy Spells

red750

Hi all,

I am posting this account of my experience to warn of the hidden dangers of a silent heart problem, in the hope of possibly saving at least one life. There are plenty of TV commercials about blocked arteries and cholesterol, etc., but these were not involved in my situation.

A couple of days ago, I experienced a few dizzy spells as I got up out of a chair, got out of the car or picked up a heavy item. I had to go to the supermarket, and my daughter said that as she needed petrol, she would drive. When we were at the shops, I said I didn't feel real well and she could do the shopping.

When we got home, I carried the groceries into the house. I stepped into the front hallway and turned to close the door. The next thing I remember was lying flat out on the floor. I have no recollection of falling.

When I was able to stand, my daughter drove me straight up to the doctors, where I was placed on the ECG machine. It revealed that my heart rate was dropping to 30 beats per minute. The doctor called an ambulance to take me to hospital, where I was placed on an intravenous drug to regulate my heart beat. The next morning I was fitted with a heart pacemaker. The condition had nothing to do with the flow of blood, it was an electrical problem. The electrical pulses which cause the heart to beat and pump the blood were not reaching the muscle. The only indication of this is the dizziness when the brain is not receiving sufficient blood.

It came as a complete surprise, because although I have a family history of heart problems, I had felt no ill effects. There was no chest pain or nausea, no pain in the arm and I had not experienced dizzy spells previously. So, if you feel giddy, woozy, lightheaded, take it seriously, it is your body telling you something is not right. Given different circumstance, for example, if I had driven down the street, if my daughter had not been there to drive me immediately to the doctor, I might not be here now.

Hopefully all will now be well, but I was lucky to get attention in time.

Guest David C

A very wise and timely reminder to all of us . I'm glad that you were fixed up so quickly and that " normal service " was resumed ASAP . We should all listen to our bodies , and if we only think that something is not quite right , then get it checked out right away ..I hope it's all plain sailing from here on Peter ..Best of luck mate .

Dave C

Guest Darren Masters

Peter, very very glad that you are ok!!! The age old rule of "If it does not feel right, get it checked". We have a flight attendant at work. Dizzy spells at work, stuttering. This kept going. He is currently undergoing chemo for a brain tumor. Again, very very glad you are ok mate!

Thanks for your support guys. My chances of getting back in the skies were pretty slim to none, even under the new RPL rules, but now it's pretty much sealed. I guess I'll have to rely on some kind GA pilot to give me a lift if I am ever to take off in anything other than a commercial flight. I'd have to lose quite a few kilos to get to fly in a LSA.

No name given, Geoff. The cardiologist simply said it was an electrical abnormality, with the pulse not getting through to the ventricle. I asked, "Like a broken spark plug lead?" and they said "Exactly."

My mother and her brother both had pacemakers. An age thing I guess. I turn 68 this Monday.

I am running on the heart generated pulse most of the time, with the pacemaker kicking in when it fails. One instance of the dropout (before the pacemaker), which I experienced in Emergency, was like the brownout you get when there is a momentary cut in your power supply.

Guest aviatrix27

Geez Peter, you know how to scare the living ... out of people! Glad to hear you're ok, sorry it probably means no more flying. I guess if you're here to whinge about not being allowed to fly, that's a good thing. In case I forget, have a very happy birthday on Monday!

If you're ever around, this kind GA pilot would be happy to give you a lift.

Thanks, Kaye. Hope to get up your way one day. I at least want to get to Lilydale to meet you at the start of your vintage car rally, God willing.