Nostalgia

red750

I didn't grow up in Aus, but sounds as though some things were pretty similar;

- Milk delivered in glass bottles - we would put the empty ones out with the correct change inside to pay for the day's delivery. Later on we got the modern innovation of plastic tokens AND orange juice in similar bottles.

- Going to the drive in, in Dad's new Ford Fairmont (XY Falcon in Aus), or Valiant with manual column shift and front bench seat.

- Scalextric set up on the lounge room floor on Sunday nights

- Only the corner cafe opened on a Sunday, no shops, no movie theatres.

- Listening to the radio or reading of an evening - no TV until I was a teenager

- Going to the coast on holiday, towing the caravan, kids riding in the back of the Chev El Camino (Holden ute)

- 8mm movie camera, clockwork powered, waiting weeks for the processed film to be returned.

- Waiting to finish the film so that you could see your holiday slides.

- Smoking in a movie theatre / aircraft

- Kero fridge and having to go out to start (and stop) the generator at night.

- Going to boarding school and only communicating home by letter, written with a fountain pen. (There were only 5 telephone lines for 450 boys and 100 odd staff, all running through a manual exchange ie you physically connected the call via a large plug. Telephone calls were thus for emergencies or urgent matters only)

- Pocket knives, carried by just about every male beyond the age of 8 or so.

Ok, some things I don't miss, but we do seem to have lost a lot too in our striving for individual rights, cocooning kids and ever growing collection of gadgetry.

• 3 weeks later...

- Pocket knives, carried by just about every male beyond the age of 8 or so.

Ok, some things I don't miss, but we do seem to have lost a lot too in our striving for individual rights, cocooning kids and ever growing collection of gadgetry.

my 9 year old got a pocket knife for christmas. All is not lost...