Nostalgia

red750

Hi All,

Things are a bit quiet on here, so I thought I would kick off a thread similar to one which has proven to be very popular on another site (non aviation), of which I am a member. It relates to things, recollections of your younger years. Here are some to start off with:

Hungry Jacks Yumbo

K-Tel record selector

Golden Fleece, Amoco, Atlantic and Kangaroo petrol

Milk in bottles with foil tops (favourite of magpies)

Threepences and sixpences in the Christmas pudding.

Cars - Vauxhall Velox and Wyvern, Morris Oxford, Humber Super Snipe, Austin Cambridge.

TV - Consider Your Verdict, Video Village, Mickey Mouse Club, Wagon Train, The Real McCoys

Happy Hammond and Princess Panda (Vic)

Buck Rogers or Hopalong Cassidy at the Saturday matinees.

Jane Fonda in the 1968 sci-fi flick 'Barbarella'

Dad and Dave, Blue Hills, Portia Faces Life, Jason and the Argonauts on the valve wireless

Kero bath heater, kero fridge. What about the ice delivery for ice chests.

Milk and bread delivered by horse drawn cart. I lived next door to the bread delivery driver in the late 50's, and we would ride on the cart with him during school holidays.

And pre-sewerage, what about the horse-drawn 'night cart', or "hum-dinger" sanitary cart (dunny cart with a bell on it).

That should get you started.

High-top bread loaves - almost burnt black on top, sounding almost hollow when tapped with a finger.

Came as a pair which, if the household only wanted one, resulted in one "half" with a convex face which, when being carried into the house, was inevatibly picked at by the bearer, who (wrongly) thought that "no-one will notice it has been got at..."

We have Belgian friends who have referred to current day Aussie breads as being "industrial". I tend to agree...:rolleyes:

I do miss "real" milk in glass bottles with foil lids

Real milk came via the "milko" (and his horse-drawn cart) who filled up the billy which one left at the front of the house; and which when left standing resulted in a generous layer of real cream coming to the top.

Guest aviatrix27

it's a relative thing, I'm a few months younger than you, so to me real milk was in a bottle with a GOLD foil lid. The silver or red foil lids were nearly as bad as the rubbish they serve up to us these days

Guest David C

Black and White tele

Bus conductors

Real bacon from my grandads pigs

Comfortable airliner seats ( havent sat on one on one in years! )

Snow

Steam trains

Head lice ( only joking )

Growing up in the Uk I'm sure there's many more like bronchitis and scabies but I'm best not mentioning them on here .

Dave C

Guest David C

Oh the lovely memories of the milk bottles , in Winter the milk would freeze in the bottle and the foil cap would be pushed up on top of the frozen milk about 2 inches above the level of the bottle top . The birds would peck at the frozen milk if we didnt get the bottles in the house before they did ..

Dave c

One third pint bottles of milk given out at school (hopefully before it sat in the sun too long)

Toys in the cereal packs

Meccano

Hornby train set

Casey Jones, The Texas Rangers,McCales Navy,Gilligan's Island (*singing '....set off on a three hour cruise...')

Collectible matchbox labels

Cards given out to kids at service stations

Calendars also given out at service stations

Sunny Boy ice blocks (in a pyramid shaped package)

Wacky placs bubble gum cards.

The postie ... delivering twice a day Mon-Fri, as well as Saturday morning.

Banks ... open on Saturdays.

Service stations which actually gave service: filled your tank, checked the oil and cleaned the screen...

Oh yes, and the non-air conditioned houses we lived in through the summer - some nostalgia is perhaps best left well & truly behind.;)

One third pint bottles of milk given out at school (hopefully before it sat in the sun too long)

I remember those well, AyeEss. I wonder if it was just a Queensland school thing. They used to drop the crates at the front gate and by the time Little Lunch rolled around, they were boiling hot in summer. We just tipped them out when the teachers weren't looking.

Other memories were lining up on the parade ground, singing 'God save the Queen' with our hands over our hearts.

Ink wells, copy books, lots of flies, footie fields that ran uphill, the Queen and hot milk. That was school.

I'll never forget the terror that used to spread through the place when someone spotted the government dental wagons parked in the railway siding. Brand new, fresh out of uni dentists to practice on the school kids.

Cheers, Willie.

the terror that used to spread through the place when someone spotted the government dental wagons

Oh Willie, the horrible memories! And no, the school bottled milk was not just a Qld thing, we had it in Vic. too. And the term "little lunch". We had that in Vic also.

I had bottled milk in Sydney. In primary school we had it at 'play lunch'. Our bags were called 'bags' or 'cases'. One teacher and 44 kids with no teacher aid. Strange that we had to know all the rivers in NSW and the railway gauge (four feet eight and a half inches) We had to know the highest mountain and that Tasmania grew apples and hops.

Homicide and Division 4 on tele.

Ford Consul and Zephyr. Chrysler Royal. 1960 Chevy Bel Air with tailfins that looked like Batmans cape.

Goggomobil Dart and Messerschmidt 3 wheeler.

Matchless

Velocette

NSU-DKW

JAP racing engines

Castor oil fuel additives

Wednesday night speedway racing

Football players who smoked at half time and couldn't be interviewed because they couldn't string a sentence together

Local footy on Saturday night TV

They seemed to have a bit of a thing about drumming the various railway gauges into us. As an adult, I'm yet to make use of that wisdom.

I don't recall soft bags at school (1960's), we all used hard school ports (cases), most with a handle, but in primary school there was the odd backpack type ones, hard as well, and made out of the same material as a normal port, with leather shoulder straps.

Kids that were real flash had ripple sole shoes, others had Bata Scouts with the animal tracks on the soles. We all had those crazy looking grey school hats, a bit like a punter's hat or a detective's hat, turned down in the front and up at the back. Hopefully there's no surviving photographs of us.

Still remember blokes a bit older turning into Bodgies. Could't wait to be a Bodgie, but but by the time I was old enough, there were none left; time had moved on. Never did get those pointy shoes.

Cheers, Willie.

Shops closed at mid day Saturday and reopened Monday morning. Servos didn't serve groceries,but we didn't starve. No credit cards,just a little bank book that had to be presented at the bank to the teller behind a little grill. If families were travelling on holidays,the bank could transfer money to a destination branch. Pay was given to workers on Friday or Thursday in cash in a little pay envelope.

Schoolkids riding pushbikes to school each day. These times there's so much traffic on the roads it's only those kids whose parents want to lose - forever - their chidren, who are seen on a bike.:p

Crikey, Red .. you've certainly started something here!

Just so long as members are enjoying the trip down memory lane, Geoff. As experienced elsewhere, it certainly looks popular.

Who had a leisure suit or safari suit. What about desert boots, or white or black Dunlop Volley tennis shoes.

Guest aviatrix27

still got my Dunlop Volleys, ok, the pair I'm wearing isn't that old (and they have pink instead of blue or green contrast - something to do with breast cancer awareness). They are the only shoes to wear if you need to get on your roof and clean out the gutters!

Good Stuff:

Lots of crackers, By Jingo Iceblocks.

Entertaining Stuff:

The Goons on the wireless, flickering black and white TV , BP Pick A Box, Mickey Mouse Club (I really wanted a set of those ears).

Playing records on the record player, Rolf and his wobble board, Smokey Dawson.

Scary Stuff:

Listening to 'The Outer Limit' on the wireless. Hiding in the bridge abutments and watching the steam trains roar past a few inches

above our heads.

Challenging Stuff:

Learning to drive in the FJ ute ( do all FJ's have a squeaky steering wheel?). Starting the single cylinder Southern Cross generator

with a crank handle every day. Learning to shave with a fixed head, replaceable blade type razor with blue razor blades.

Boring Stuff:

School, 'Blue Hills' on the wireless.

Bad Stuff:

Embarrassing shirts and bad haircuts. Harvesting sorghum in pre-air con cab days.

And last but not least,

Aviation Stuff:

Vinyl airline bags, pre-turbine cropdusters. Watching grandfather and his mate land their Tiger Moth in the paddock, in the days

before they were a collector's item (Tiger Moths that is, not the old blokes).

Cheers, Willie.

How's this for living nostalgia. I was at YMML yesterday afternoon, taking my son to catch a flight to OOL. Returning to his home unit where I am house-sitting, I saw a car identical to this on Keilor Park Drive.

[ATTACH=full]1608[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18352[/ATTACH]

1959_cadillac_eldorado-pic-33080.thumb.jpeg.95c8d958a443e29fa2cc1af15b740e2b.jpeg

One third pint bottles of milk given out at school (hopefully before it sat in the sun too long)Toys in the cereal packs

Meccano

Hornby train set

Casey Jones, The Texas Rangers,McCales Navy,Gilligan's Island (*singing '....set off on a three hour cruise...')

Collectible matchbox labels

Cards given out to kids at service stations

Calendars also given out at service stations

Sunny Boy ice blocks (in a pyramid shaped package)

Wacky placs bubble gum cards.

Still got Sunny Boys... watching my kids devour them as I type in a vintage caravan at Wilson's Prom