1954 Taa Promo

siznaudin

Hi Willie ... yep, that's the one. Can't explain auto-play failure - IT stuff definitely not my strong suit.

I'l toss this one in even if it's off-topic: found it on the web a couple of days ago and ... naturally you came to mind!

[ATTACH=full]1643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18359[/ATTACH]

F4_refuel.jpg.690a1b55ead49ce9e0c793eb77a6c2e1.jpg

Thanks, Geoff; things sure have changed since that TAA promo. It's a classic bit of history and nostalgia.

Nice photo of the F-4 re-fuelling, and a good shot of the intakes and vents as well. It reminds me of a video clip that surfaced a year ago; I'll post it in the video section for anyone interested.

Cheers, Willie.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. The pilots went on strike in 1989 and caused all the trouble hay!

How long did it take to make that Ansett add to get scabs to come and work here when the big fight got going.

The airlines knew exactly what they were going to do, well before the day the pilots resigned in August 1989.

Good one - and why is it I've only ever associated water-methanol injection with piston engines, excluding (up to now) turbo-props...:confused:

Geoff, as far as I know, water injection died out as a means of thrust augmentation in the seventies, once high by-pass turbofans came on the scene with their ample thust reserves for take-off. It was a good idea at the time though, when they only had turbojets and low BP turbofans.

Nomally the water was injected upstream of the compressor, which vaporizes causing temperature to drop, in turn causing density, hence mass to increase, providing the extra thrust due to increased mass flow rate.

According to theory, thrust depends on airstream velocity and mass flow rate, which is linked to air density (mass=density x volume). Density increases with pressure and decreases with temperature, so the water injection helped at high altitude airports, and on hot days.

Not sure about the methanol mix though,whether it was injected direct into the combustors or not.

Here's a rough way to start up on a hot day. It's an An-24 turbo-prop. Fairly sure it's at Chita, just north of the Mongolian border in Eastern Russia.

Cheers, Willie.