Images Of Clifton Airfield, Volume 2

mnewbery

While we are picking the photo to bits, where is the shadow on the ground?

The highest peak in the original photo would have been Mt Gammie North. This is barely 11nm away, 600ft higher than the airfield and behind the hills in the photo!

The photo was taken facing roughly 200 degrees magnetic and looking down hill into a bowl. Looking at the topographic map, the highest point in the photo is only at the same elevation as the airfield.

Who's supposed to be "picking the photo to bits" then.

Here then: "Because its ssoooooo flat you can see the weather (good or bad) coming from miles away." is what I was referring to: lighten up a bit, Newbs. My post was intended to be in good humour - for anyone who is not overly thin skinned. And I'm sure you don't fit into that category.

No, really. I expected to see a shadow...

Also I had no idea what or where the hills were. I got some good shots from someone else showing them appearing from the wet sticky and persistent fog earlier that day.

Because the photographer didn't know the hills were there someone said "that's why we haven't taken off yet. Those clouds have rocks in them". Until you pointed it out I hadn't given it much thought.

Hi Newbs,

From the glare on the windshield and pilots visor, and the shadow on the wheels, the sun is to the right and slightly behind the photographer. Therefore, the shadow would be almost directly below the gyro, and slightly on the far side of it. The ground seems to slope slightly away from the camera, so very little shadow would be visible. See the marked area on the photo below:

[ATTACH]18469[/ATTACH]

608936215_Gyroshadow.jpg.6533fae1744ea9e8bfd228d1d425c407.jpg

Forensic officer Red750, well done - and CSI eat your heart out!

And now, rather than start a new thread and since we've got gyro's on the go here - if you watched the Dick Smith program re petrol at $10 a litre, can anyone tell me ...

He was at the controls of 1) a Cessna Caravan 2) a very expensive up-market chopper (no name -I'm not into rotary wing stuff) 3) a gyro copter, and I seem to recall there was a fourth aircraft as well.

Just how many flying things does Dick have, I wonder..?

• 1 year later...