British Accents

willedoo

I read about this in yesterday's 'The Australian' paper, but this is the only online reference I could find.

Apparently some German voice recordings of WW1 British POW's has surfaced, giving some insight into changing British accents. Particular mention was made of the significant change in the Oxfordshire accent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389902/German-recording-British-PoWs-reveals-rural-society-rich-regional-accents-lost.html

Cheers, Willie.

I remember a cook we had on one of the crews many years ago, he couldn't pronounce his T's.

Instead of 'got it', he'd say 'gorrit' etc.. Not sure where he was from, maybe a Cumbrian or Geordie or something.

At least we don't have a real big variation of accents here, only the dance/chance/castle type thing. And proper Queenslanders have a port and not a suitcase, but that's more vocabulary than accent.

Cheers, Willie.

It was interesting to listen to the various Pommie radio cricket commentators make (live to air and in his absence) reference to "Sir Geoffrey" - in no case was it particularly complimentary. He is, as I once referred to Murray Walker, of Formula One fame ("... unless I'm very much mistaken...") - a PITE ... a Pain In The Earse.

I remember a cook we had on one of the crews many years ago, he couldn't pronounce his T's.Instead of 'got it', he'd say 'gorrit' etc.. Not sure where he was from, maybe a Cumbrian or Geordie or something.

At least we don't have a real big variation of accents here, only the dance/chance/castle type thing. And proper Queenslanders have a port and not a suitcase, but that's more vocabulary than accent.

Cheers, Willie.

Long time back worked behind a bar in London for nearly 4 months and stone me, I found I was starting to pick up the "glottal stop" thing. Got away just in time.

Here there is the upward inflecion at end of sentences (eastern states) - and the "eh", usually downward inflection, which I tend to associate with northern Qld.

peanut butter cf peanut paste ... a sandwich of "four points" ... "fritz" cf "devon" ... all very interesting. Good point re the vocabulary cf accent - absolutely valid.

It's interesting to compare our Head of State's speech change since the time of her (sorry, Her) coronation to the current day. Significantly less "posh" now.