Kingsford Smith's scrimshaw

bauple58

In 1975 the Queensland Museum received a large collection of Kingsford Smith's personal effects, these having been gifted by relatives in the United States.

Amongst these was an item of whale's tooth scrimshaw attached to a plaited plant fibre 'necklace' and inscribed with the word AIMEKI (or AVIMEKI). Since the collection includes numerous presentation items, it's tempting to conclude that the scrimshaw may have also been presented by an appreciative Pacific - or Tasman Sea - community.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/38049473@N00/.../in/dateposted/

I would be most interested to hear if anyone here can identify its origin, or the meaning of the inscription?

Thanks

Mark

In scrimshaw V can be U so AU MEKI means "to Meki" in French. Meki is a Polynesian man's name.

But that doesn't explain the I after AU.

AU I MEKI means "According to Mack" (or Max) in Maori, perhaps meaning "made by Mack". Alternatively I (am) Max.

I'm sure others here will have suggestions!

Or AIME KI could be "Love KI" in French. KI being Kingsford Smith, a name to long to engrave!

Thanks pmaccarthy for these prompt and helpful suggestions, both of which seem to be worthwhile lines of enquiry.

A further suggestion, which is the most promising, is that the inscription is Fijian.

AU = I

I = (future tense)

MEKI = dance

Hence, I will dance. Seems appropriate for a decorative (dance) object?

You would need to get an expert to verify this.