$3.5bn upgrade for YMML

red750

Melbourne Airport is set for a major overhaul, including a new domestic terminal and a major refit of international facilities, as it prepares for the number of passengers to double in the next two decades.

A three-kilometre third runway, running east-west, will be opened in 2023. The existing east-west runway will also be lengthened by 2027.

The plan also outlined a fourth runway, running north-south, but it gave no time frame.

Melbourne Airport plans 'huge redevelopment' to cope with passenger boom

Airport

A bit of history.( For me anyhow) and about Tullamarine. Airport.. On 10 Oct 1970 I did part of a B727 endorsement There before the Passenger Terminal was opened, in VH TJE, And did 8 landings to a full stop in 68 .minutes. . Drifter sized circuits in a Boeing eh..? Helps when no one else is around.. 2 nights later at Essendon 6 landings (night) in 120 minutes including 2x ILS approaches in VH TJA.. More taxiing and waiting for traffic involved there.. Plane empty except for the crew. on all these flights. I wouldn't like to be paying for it. Most of this stuff is done in the simulator now. but even then I'd done 32 hours 8 x 4 hours split between 2 pilots in the sim (full motion) over a month, before you get near the plane.. Not quite as thorough these days.. That's why your ticket costs less (Part of it anyhow). Nev