Changing the fuel filter on a J230

Alan

To change the fuel filter on my J230 all the tanks have to be emptied. What a pain to say nothing about a potentially hazardous operation.

It would seem logical to me for there to be an in line valve after the ventral tank and before the filter. I realise the risk in placing another method of shutting off the fuel, but it would be hidden away and not touched between filter changes. Mines a factory built LSA so I cannot add a valve anyway.

What method does everybody else use when changing the fuel filter?

Alan

Guest brentc

I stuff a rag into the pillar area and as I pull off the tube quickly bend it back to stop the fuel flow. Not elegant but it works ok and I don't spill much fuel. Clever home builders put a valve above the filter - I didn't.

If you do it my way, make sure you have someone else handy do help in case it all goes wrong. You could use container to catch the fuel as it gushes out however if there's not much length in your hoses it might be hard.

Guest sportaviationacademy

I use a clamp to stop the fuel flow before removing the filter

It works well . Jabiru supply the clamp in there tool kit

brentc. Don.t you worry that kinking the hose will not be doing it any good.

If I remember correctly we have visited this problem before, and I say again that it is bad practice to not have a fuel tap where it will allow maintenance to be done without the fear of fuel leaks. I know it may be illegal to fit one but the law is an ass as usual.

Thanks for that. Can anyone recommend a suitable tap and supplier. I will ring Jabiru for an official "can this be approved?" (rather than play ducks and drakes with the "Ass"). I am not keen to have fuel slopping everywhere again (Pipe bung came out!), but if them's the rules.

Alan

Thanks for that. Can anyone recommend a suitable tap and supplier.

If you go to Repco or Bursons, you can buy brake hose clamps that will do the job in stopping the fuel flow when changing the filter.

-Brian

And a big WARNNING to you all.

The Ryco inline fuel filters will KILL you one day, do not ever let them get old. I will not have them in my a/c at all. If they get water and a bit of dirt in them they will block and stop all flow. Dont just take my word for it.

I am still to this day amazed Jabiru still use them. Sure with good fuel and changed every 50 hours, there is bugger all chance of a problem. But be assured if you neglect these damn things it will bite you in the bottom when you least need it.

I use a RACOR 30 micron filter and have a drain valve fitted to the filter bowl.

J

• 2 weeks later...

My J160 kit#14 came with three fuel valves. Two of them had two inlets and one outlet for each wing tank. They both end up in a single T piece which feeds the header tank under the passenger seat.

The outlet hose from the header tank which is fitted with a low level alarm has an inline shut off valve before it reaches the electric fuel pump followed by the one inline fuel filter before going through the firewall.

I collected three certified Jabs with wing tanks from the factory last year. Upon enquiry, I was told that CASA would not allow the extra valves, even if lock wired open. Two fuel line crimping devices were supplied in each machines tool kit.

Fred