Go Light or not?

Guest TConnor

Guest TConnor

Hoping to get some advice here.

I am currently learning to fly GA aircraft (C152) at Camden, with 23.1 hours under my belt so far. Soon I'll be finished my GFPT (only three solos and BAK to sit to finish it) and I'd like to go on to PPL.

Does training in a recreational aircraft such as a Jabiru count towards my GA PPL?

I had looked into the Sydney Jabiru school at Hoxton Park (went there on Sunday afternoon and it was closed smiley7.gif). I had considered the cost factor, but as I have learned the Jabiru is $120 p/hdual, and the C152 that I am flying is $130 p/h dual, so there really isn't much difference.

Hoxton Park is however about 10 minutes drive from home, whereas Camden is at least 45 mins drive.

It is worth switching to the lighter aircraft? Is it all going to count towards hours for my PPL?

Second question is, I'd actually like to be a flying instructor, but under CASA regs I need a CPL for that. I started flying later in life (I'm 35) and I can't really justify the cost of going all the way to CPL just to instruct (which I hear is not very well paid). If I train in lighter aircraft (such as the Jabiru) and obtain my Pilot Cert, can I then go on to instruct after appropriate experience and endorsements/certificationsin such aircraft without having to do a GA CPL?

Any advice you folks could provide would be much appreciated.

TConnor

Guest aaronb

Hi TConnor ,

i am in the same boat, i learn in a c172 with landing fee and what not as they are and fuel goin up im nilly hitting the $300 mark per lesson,

all you Jabiru Hours Will count towards you ppl, im going light on the account i only want to play for fun and nilly payin $300 as to paying only $140. if you want to get your CPL its polli best you just stick with GA but if its for fun ide go for the jabiru, there awesome little planes, better fuel, price, and preformance then some old cessna 152 :P

all you need to ask your self is do you want to fly for career or fun?

Guest TConnor

At this stage I intend to fly for fun only. I have looked at Ultra Light's simply because of the cost factor.

Even if I do take the light option, I will still want to do some training in GA aircraft. The reason being I can't really pack my family into a Jabiru for a fly away, however I can in a Piper Warrior.

I'd be happy to swicth to light aircraft if I could then use that experience towards my GA PPL.

I'd also like to instruct but I can't justify the cost of the GA 150 hour CPL course. I'll be taking the 200 TT route to that goal, and if I can do that in a light a/c to keep costs down, I certainly will.

Thanks for the reply mate. Where are you flying at the moment?

Guest aaronb

well if you intend to take that path then the jabiru is still a good option A. because of price 2. for you CPL you need to build 70 hours as pilot in command (flying where ever and doin what ever you wish) so why pay for a more expensive plane. 3. im no instructor but in your log book if you can fly more types of planes you could have a better chance at getting a job than someone else and 4. jabiru requires more pilot input then a cessna \ piper so its good to build your skills.

hope this helps.

Guest Guest

Tony... your hours will count in the Jabiru. You could switch to Jabiru, get licenced, then fly cheaper privately, however you'll still need to cover the PPL Syllabus to get your PPL and unless you have a GA instructor with you in the Jabiru, you'll end up having to cover the syllabus in a GA aircraft.

Here's a scenario that you could follow:

Stop flying GA now

Convert to RA-Aus

Fly around building your confidence

Get your cross country rating in the Jabiru

If possible get further instruction in CTA from a GA instructor in the Jab

Do the theory exam

Do a couple of Controlled Airspace Navs in the Cessna

Sit your PPL test and pass it.

Easy!

I did something very similar to this. You won't need to sit a GA BAK test if you're flying Jabiru's and you can go straight from an RA-Aus certificate to PPL.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you my home made conversion chart.

i usually from from Hoxton park, and have been flying with them since 98 originally out of the Oaks. Ashley is the CFI at Hoxton park, and i think he might be geting or already has his GA instructors rating, so you might be able to complete all your GA training in the Jab.

Every time i fly at Hoxton its best to give Ashley a call and find out what time he will be there, if there are no bookings he will go home, or some weekends he might be serving in the army as he is in the reserves. if you let him know you want to go flying, he will be there. his number is 0410576011

Guest TConnor

I went out and saw Ashley today. He showed me a Jab. Weird little thing. I felt a bit like I was sitting in one of those $1 kids rides in a shopping centre.

I was thinking, as I was sitting in it, that I'd have to learn to fly all over again. It felt very different to a C152. I'd prefer to not have to start all over again. Different controls and control positions, I didn't feel comfortable with it.

I think I'll finish my GFPT in GA craft (that was Ashley's recommendation) and then maybe consider the Jab or similar aircraft.

To be honest, I am inclined at this time to remain with GA to PPL.

Guest Prometheus

Not all Jabs are configure'd like that. There are several models - not sure which - that use a standard control yoke (between your legs) and a throttle off the centre console.

I too had the same issue going from GA to RAA and the Jab turned me off and went to learn in a more conventional RAA aircraft, later on I learned about other Jabiru options which I may investigate later.

Look around

I meant to respond to this post yesterday but got side tracked but Dave has got it right. There is a big difference between the Jab and say a CT and say a Thruster and say a Technam and say.....

Please don't be put off by the jab and give a few other aircraft a try as you will be amazed at the difference between all the great opportunities in aircraft choice that we have in this category that really keeps the fun going in recreational aircraft.

Guest TConnor

Yeah, I'd love to take a look at a Tecnam machine, that looks more my type of thing.

However, thereis onlyone school in Sydney (that I know of) that use them,one charges $189 p/h dual. Rip off IMO.

Bit rich considering that if I wanted to do all my training in a Piper warrior with my current school it would only cost me $150 p/h dual.

There is even a school that has a Jab, and they charge $186 p/h dual. Where do they get off charging that for a Jabiru?

I am still considering looking at the Jab soon. One thing that has really encouraged me about the U/L scene, is that everyone is so helpful and friendly. All the RA Aus crowd are enthusiastic and seem over the moon about having newbies like me on board. That alone is tugging me towards U/L aircraft.

So much of GA is over priced and they look down on anyone not as qualified as them. It's a hostile environment for newcomers. Not taring them all with that brush, but it's certainly prevalent enough to be of concern. The worst part of this is flying schools putting down other flying schools, then having them look down at you because you have been trained my someone they don't think is as good as they are. It's sad and unprofessional. TConnor