The documents they wanted will suprise you!

Bit tongue in cheek but flying back in yesterday and getting approached by security i realized just how many documents they could have asked for. I live in Northern NSW and hangar a aircraft on the Gold Coast. Listed below in order of worthileness in my opinion. Seven of them!

1. My license and logbook. 2 years IFR renewals plus currency for the various approaches, night, landings etc. Yeah okay.

2. My medical. Class 2. Renewed every 2 years. Guess that's important too.

3. Aircraft registration. Fair enough also.

4. ASIC Card. Something to dick around every 2 years those who need access to the airport legitimately. People wanting to access the airport for illegal reasons don't need one.

5. Authority to Operate Airside sticker (AUA) Private hangars are literally within 100m of the entry gate. But need to show $10million dollars liability insurance on the vehicle. In addition to disclaimer saying we wont hold them accountable anyway so whats the point. Proof of rego. just in case we drive all the way to our aircraft hangars in an unregistered vehicle.

6. Authority to Drive Airside Card. (ADA) A little online driving test done every 2 years. Even though we can drive to the airport, that last 100m in a straight line is apparently the tricky bit. It is illegal to go outside the private hangar precinct without a reason anyway.

7. COVID Entry Pass. Meaningless bit of paper that you get by spending 3 minutes on a website self declaring why you need to go from NSW to QLD.

You guessed it. The last one is the one they needed to see and discuss about photographing to make sure i had it, even though i literally completed in while in the line of traffic at the border and showed on my phone.

IS there any pastime more bureaucratic than that?

Edited by extralite
  • Like 1