Trike training

Had a productive 3rd lesson of my trike training today with Len Burger of microlight adventures at somersby airfield (1 hr north of sydney). Len’s got a XT-912 streak III (with ballistic chute) which is very comforting when looking over the rugged terrain of local somersby strip from above. After trying to get my ticket for last many months from different places Len’s been a good find for me and I am already on my 4th lesson in two weeks time. I find his no bull safety oriented instructional style to be of excellent quality and he does not have the habit of grabbing the controls at the first given opportunity (assuming no f/ups from my side) which I feel is a confidence booster. I feel a bit annoyed that I could’nt find him last year (Len does’nt advertise very much in Raaus circles and trains only for hgfa ticket), I could have had one year of fun, flying the pursuit trike. Any way better late than never and it does’nt seem far now. Also met another forum member peter – forum id pilotpj (isn’t this forum great) at the airfield today who flies a really nice looking Europa aircraft. Below is the photo of his impressive looking instrument panel which he has made himself. It was good chatting to him and listening to his around Australia sorties.

All in all a good day today

cheers

lennys_XT912.JPG.06e6b0d3bf14452a60aee7ff2e40b19e.JPG

pete_europa.jpg.d3c59c411e4f04361f3c9d016d85145c.jpg

Guest GawlerMicro

Good pics Drifter Driver,

The smiles say it all ! The latest XT is quite good hey ?

I noticed the side bags that Len has on his Trike. Just a cautionary note for Len, as the side of the XT912 or most 912 trikes require undisturbed airflow from the side of the Trike to cool the engine radiators.

We have tested all sorts of carrying bags here in South Aust, and we found the temperature rising, with no decline, using bags here. Hence, Airborne stock the Air Hogg belly bag for the XT 912's.

Also, Brian Milton in the Global flyer, found out the hard way about bags on the side, with his 912 english trike.

His carry bags may be thin at the moment, and will get away with it for a while, but it will still impede the cooling a certain degree.

Anyway, happy training, Rob............

I will pass on this info to Len next time I see him and thanx for sharing this matter Rob. as for flying qualities of XT-912 (streak-III) it flies like a solid tank even in rough air and seems very stable in flight (not squirly). I dont have much experience in trikes yet but comparing to my first hour of training in a wizard, it seems like a much better machine (nice comfortable ride with a solid feel)

cheers

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your remarks on the pannier bags.

We flew to Tumut from Somersby last Thursday (2 x 912XT with Streak wings) and compared temps all the way because of the panniers.We had identical readings. It was a tough trip with headwinds of 30 & 40 Kts after Goulburn. A 3.5 hour trip took 5.5 hours:sad: We had an excellent weekend;)

Hi Len,

Well now I've finally seen what your new XT looks like. I'm sure it's a slightly darker shade of blue than your previous one, and mine. I trust it will serve you well.

I think you should give Carl a trophy for making it to Tumut in those conditions (which I narrowly dodged the very worst of myself by flying north).

Cheers,

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

GawlerMicro Hi,

Just thought I'd give you some extra imformation on the Brian Milton 912 engine failure. There were four factors leading to the cause of that particular failure, of which the side panniers affecting the airflow to the radiators was one.

The others were: Hot & high - Middle East and Summertime;

Overweight - The trike was well over the MAUW at the time;

Incorrect coolant mix.

So, although the panniers were a factor, all other things being equal they should still be safe to use. I know that the Quik has special slimline ones endorsed and supplied by P&M.

Safe flying

Kev.

Guest Crezzi
So, although the panniers were a factor, all other things being equal they should still be safe to use.

True for the Quantum 912 but I believe Airborne specifically don't recommend panniers on the XT912

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry mate - not guilty. Someone is impersonating me. Couldn't get to fly this weekend which was a shame, as it looked pretty good for a change. thumb_down I wonder who it was?

Safe flying

Kev