Not a good day for flying in Melbourne today!

Matt

Didn't the latest issue of flight safety have an article on lightning, thunder and storms. I pass my copy on to the airstrip dwellers, but i am sure I read about it recently. From memory there are at least 3 types of lightning.

Guest pelorus32

What are isobars?

hello my name is Caitlin and my daddy joined me here.what are isobars 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

G'day Caitlin,

Isobars are lines on the weather map. The word isobar is made up of two parts: "Iso" means equal. "Bar" is a measure of pressure. So Isobar means "equal pressure".

On the weather map the isobars are lines of equal atmospheric pressure.

Air wants to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure and this is what causes wind. If you look at a weather map you will see the letter L and the letter H. H means that this is a centre of High pressure and L means that this is a centre of Low pressure. The Isobars are like wriggly circles around the Lows and the Highs. The wind blows at an angle to the isobars from H to L. The closer the Isobars are together the stronger the wind blows.

In the southern hemisphere where we live the wind blows clockwise around a low and anti-clockwise around a high.

Get your dad to show you this on a weather map.

Bye for now

Mike

Ian, look up P4C in Google. Caitlin looks like she will benefit. Don't you blokes give her all the answers, just point her in the right direction so that she can suss out the answers for herself.

Caitlin, just beware that some of these old blokes don't lead you up the garden path.

David