Drifter or Drifter?

Guest BaronVonEvil

Guest BaronVonEvil

Hi All,

I have question regarding Drifters that may stir the pot a little. Being from the US, I am mostly familiar with the Leza-Lockwood (Now just Lockwood) Drifters.

It appears to me that the wonderful people in the land of Oz have a Drifter of their own in production?

Who was first? How are they the same? How are they different? Some of the mods from down under are intriguing. When asked, Lockwood USA really wont talk about them. How much is interchangable between the two?

I currently own a Maxair Drifter 447, cable-braced wing style with Kawasaki 440 that is a bit tired and am looking for suitable engine.

The Jabaru 2200 conversion looks inviting but, alas since Lockwood USA is not talking what is a person to do?

Also is there anyone running a VW conversion on a Drifter?

Thank you for your help.

Best Regards

BaronVonEvil

Hi BaronVE,

To the best of my knowledge (not much it seems), the Lockwood and Austflight Drifters share the same specs as far as the basic airframe goes.

Austflight kept the Drifters in production and produced the Strut Braced version with a larger pod which they sold back into the US market and I think that caused some ill feeling which was never intended. You could appreciate the original designer having his aircraft plant taken from him and then sold to another party to be manufactured overseas and eventually sold back to the original market. A bit of a kick in the face so I could understand Lockwoods stance on the matter.

I have not heard of any VW powered Drifters but that is not to say that there aren't any running around. The Aus Drifter factory is offering the Jabiru engine as an option and the Jabiru factory have an engine mount design to suit.

Hopefully, Lockwood will overcome their feelings and the Drifter will gain its place in the skies over there again.... which ever country they were made in.

Cheers,

Bilby54

HI BaronVonEvil,

I`ve never seen a Lockwood Drifter so I don`t know about the differences,can`t help with that.

I`ve had an Austflight, Maxair Drifter, for almost 20 years and believe it or not, it`s had 1,Rotax 503 and 4,Rotax 582, I found the 503 a bit under powered for training so went to the 582.

From the research I`ve done recently,I`ve found that the Rotax 503 is considered the best in the 50 horse power range,as I`m no longer teaching if felt I didn`t need all the extra power and accepted this, I will find out shortly as I`ve fitted one but it hasn`t even been run in yet,I would assume they are much better than the first one I had.

Regards.

farri.

• 3 weeks later...

BarronVE,

As I understand it, the Aus Drifter was quite a bit heavier than the US model (maybe 60 kilo's), a requirement of the Australian CAA at that time. The strut braced Drifter is heavier again. If your Drifter is an origonal Liza Lockwood aircraft, than a Rotax 503 is probably the best option for you. A VW would be heavier, and may not give the climb rate that a Rotax would give you. An advantage of the Rotax is that it is a 'known item' and there is a lot of good info. available regarding them.

If you want more info. on this let me know and I will try to get it for you.

Regards,

Gerry....

Hi Gerry,002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

You are correct about the extra weight on the wire braced, Maxair Drifter, they were built by "Austflight Aviation",and became 65 Kilos heavier due to CASA. requirements,so they could be used for twin seat training,I have one of their early certified ones,You are correct about the strut braced also.

Wayne Fisher, of Spectrum Aviation,who was one of Austflight`s original aircraft builders,runs his own factory and flying school and produces lighter versions which he still calls the Drifter.

Frank. :rotary:

• 1 month later...

I own/operate an Austflight SB Drifter with the Jabiru 2200 and Prince P-tip prop. The airplane is an unbeatable rocket ship. My only other Drifter experience is in an SB equipped with flaps and a 65hp Rotax. No comparison. If your budget allows, the Jabiru makes the Drifter the ultimate magic carpet.

Ken

Magic Carpet Ride.

Hi Ken,

I`ve always refered to a flight in my Austflight Drifter as a, Magic Carpet Ride,glad someone else agrees.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest sceadu52jr
I own/operate an Austflight SB Drifter with the Jabiru 2200 and Prince P-tip prop. The airplane is an unbeatable rocket ship. My only other Drifter experience is in an SB equipped with flaps and a 65hp Rotax. No comparison. If your budget allows, the Jabiru makes the Drifter the ultimate magic carpet.Ken

Ken, Tell us more about your Jab equiped Drifter, What are the handling differences, engine operating quirks (if any), why is it better than a SB 582 Drifter? In other words...give us a full comparision review!

Wayne

With the 2200, fuel consumption averages 3 US gallons per hour, never more than 4 when horsing around. It uses regular avgas, is air-cooled, and is direct drive. My Drifter weighs roughly 500 pounds empty and grosses at 1000 pounds. I weigh 170 pounds and have taken rear seat passengers as heavy as 250 pounds with no difficulty. Operationally, it starts right up, runs well, and probably puts out more thrust than this airplane needs. Full throttle at level flight would push the airplane past its 85 KIAS Vne. The extra horsepower is also helpful when teaching tailwheel - makes a go-around from a swerve or bounce an instant event.

Climb is wonderful. I regularly fly formation with a 1941 65 hp J-3 Piper Cub. Making a 10 second interval takeoff, I out accelerate and out climb him easily. The rejoin overtake and performance makes you feel as if you're flying a jet fighter - reminds me of my student days in the T-38 Talon.

The Jab does have specific valve adjustment and head torque tasks periodically. The engine also should not be run hot, however the uncowled Drifter poses no problem for that. The ignition system has no impulse couplings like a Lycoming engine, so a strong battery is a must for start.

Granted, we all have our opinions, but for power, climb, acceleration, and overall ease of operation and maintenance, I am very pleased with my Jab and, in fairness, I have very little experience with the 582. Regardless of the engine, the Drifter is my all-time favorite airplane!

Guest sceadu52jr
........Regardless of the engine, the Drifter is my all-time favorite airplane!

For a magic carpet ride.....I would have to agree with you Ken.

....one day I will have one.......!