Changes to CAOs - a unpleasant development

kasper

Strangely there has not been anything from RAAus on the replacement to one of the CAOs that came into effect at the start of October.  

in another thread I was asked to comment on why I thought there was risk in the structure of RAAus governing docs and the CAOs - I was too busy with work to write up the issues but the changes in CAO95.10 Increase my concerns and if these changes roll into the republish of 95.55 next year the number of members potentially impacted is much larger than are actually impacted by this months 95.10 change.

ill write up a summary off my iPhone this evening but the concerns are that the definition of the RAAus tech manual is fundamentally changed in the new CAO:

RAAus Technical Manual means the manual, approved in writing by CASA from time to time, which is issued by RAAus and contains RAAus’s rules, consistent with the requirements of the civil aviation legislation, for initial and continuing airworthiness of aeroplanes registered with RAAus, including:

(a)       airworthiness, design and maintenance standards; and

(b)      aeronautical practices, test procedures and processes.

this is really new in terms of allowing design standards and that is both a stretch to coverage and remains in even greater contrast to the same CAO that retains the requirement of having the no responsibility stickers.  

sorry RAAus and CASA you can’t have it both ways and someone will take it up fairly soon in court.  

oh and on top of that all 95.10s have been renamed as microlights.

RIP the AUF heritage - ultralights are no more.

and watch RAAus ... going down the design standards road with CASA will end up with more liability on the RAAus and potentially more steps towards GA lite for all. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1