Cummins airshow

peter

Missed narromine but did make it to the Cummins Airshow last weekend. Great atmosphere with no distinction between RAA and our heavier cousins. hardly had time to shut down the engine before starting to answer all the questions and do the obligatory "cockpit tours" - most were impressed with the overall finish and internal space.1_cummins.jpg 1_003.JPG

Not to mention the good looks of course.

Early right turn at Cummins

Hi peter, missed you amongst the 100 odd aircraft at Cummins. We do need some form of identification on our planes to identify ourself.

Question for members, perhaps new member and ATC can help.

I had to leave before the show finished to get home b4 last light, the unicom were very helpful in slotting myself and another Jab in between the perfomances.

All OK and just b4 takeoff, unicom directed me to takeoff and do an EARLY right hand turn. I complied at about 200 ft. It was then that I saw the Helicopter below me at about 2 o'clock and about 150m away, he was travelling away from me to my right.

"what height is an early turn"?

Comments would be appreciated.

Phil.

Guest brentc

I've asked this question before and the answer was at 500 ft agl, but that may not be technically correct. From my experience operating say out of Moorabbin an early left turn for me might be at the end of the runway when I have reached 500ft, whereas a cessna might turn onto crosswind at a mile off the end of the runway.

Perhaps if there was a slower aircraft in front they gave you an early turn or maybe they wanted to keep you away from a display area or other aircraft?

Technically they are in control and can direct you anywhere (as in ATC) so you are obliged to follow if I assume correctly? If I am told to fly by the tower, who am I to deny them?????

I began flying at Mackay, QLD, YBMK. Due to the fact that we shared RPT, GA, Helo and flight training in one circuit often meant that the Mackay Control would ask you for a early turn (amongst many othe things). I was always taught that it should be 500ft. NOW they have 1981M of runway, which means even from an intersection departure, you will be at 500 ft before the end of the runway. Turning before the end is acceptable, if directed, because all a\c should be monitoring the local control freq. Therefore acting as a failsafe for their own seperation.

Hope this helps a bit.

"Technically they are in control and can direct you anywhere" That is correct, except that no matter who is in control, if you believe you are being told to do something unsafe, you should reply with "Unable" and give your reasons. The pilot is the final arbiter on safety.

An Early turn in either direction is usually a request from or to ATC, and neads to be approved, and would usually mean you can turn below 500' AGL in controlled airspace.

So unless, assuming you are RAA not GA, you would have to be flying over private property with the owners permision to turn below 500'. Soon you will need to be low level endorsed as well! Clear as mud I know!

Unicom is an advisery frequency only! if I have it correct!

Hope it helps, Guy

PS Jamestown Flyin and Hangar Dinner 19th April, this coming Saturday!

Many thanks for all the comments.

I think that the unicom operator wanted me to "clear off" as soon as I could to be clear of the aircraft operating to the LEFT of the air field and active runway. I was clear of crowd, buildings and parking areas before turning. 700' being a normal turn, 500' would probably be an early turn by your comments. Maybe I should have broadcast when turning?

I reckon I will in future use the 500' as an early turn unless advised to the contrary by the operator. :thumb_up:

Cheers,

Phil.