It never rains, but

geoffreywh

OK so I removed the Icom A-6 I was having all the problems with. (not the Icom's fault) . I bought a Microair M760. Great unit, so light . A real fiddle for me to fit as it had to go in to the dash from the front. (not enough space to get it in from behind.) Anyway it worked from the moment I switched it on. Lovely, no feedback, lovely clear signal, easy to use ect....(watch out, the drawing in the booklet and on the net is wrong!!! How could they do that?) BUT when I switch on my AVMAP I get a hiss plus pulsing sound all the time, wont squelch out, The sound stops the moment I switch the gps off, (which is run by internal batteries) The radio and the gps antenna cables run close together, could that do it? Any help much appreciated. regards....Geoffrey......

Guest brentc

Highly likely. My 296 stuffs up my Xcom radio which is a similar set-up to the Microair. It's worst when I use my external aerial on the gps, but it's not bad enough to have to turn the squelch up, but rather it causes the radio to crackle outside of the squelch (without opening the squelch as such). Acquiring the satellites at first turn-on causes the most interference.

Thanks Brent. I think you hit the nail on the head as my AVMAP is not aquiring satellites since I updated it..I have emailed AVMAP , I think its just a config. problem, it's a bugger to solve as the antenna is fixed in the aeroplane 50minutes drive away....Geoff

You certainly need to keep the radio antenna well away from the GPS or anything else for that matter which has has a microprocessor and/or a switch mode power supply. This includes the ICOM power adapter. All this stuff generates crud which will interfere with the mute setting of your radio.

David

I had the problem of GPS interfering with the radio which is a Vertex VXA150. After a week or so of not using the GPS I tried it again and No interference. I havn't changed anything. The radio runs off it's own battery and the GPS off aircraft 12V power, even using aircraft power for the radio now doesn't produce interference.Don't ask me to explain it I consider radios are just one step removed from computers in their ability to make me curse them.

Guest landmann

I have the m760 radio and have a problem. It works great but every once in a while the red transmit light comes on and I jam up the air waves. I have isolated my ppt switches one at a time and it does not seem to be the problem. Has anyone else had this kind of radio trouble. I called the manufacturer and they said no one had trouble like that with their radio sent in for repair.

Martin

G'day Martin -

you may have a bare wire/connection somewhere within the control stick?

I assume this happens while flying. Try moving the stick around while on the ground to see if you can reproduce the problem.

regards

I had exactly the same result the first time I switched on, it was caused by the connector I had used in the PTT button wire. So look for a short in the PTT button or wire , maybe in the plug at the back of the radio, The red light means you are transmitting.....

Guest aircraft1

It could be RF entering the PTT line and holding the radio open, i have seen this happen before. Is the PTT shielded ?