Flush Mount Antenna for Garmin 296

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

Hi,

I've looked at the Garmin site and a few others but I have been unable to find a suitable antenna.

I'm putting the GPSMap 296 into an Airgizmo cradle - in the panel. I need to run the antenna line to the back of the panel and to have a standard Garmin antenna connector on the antenna lead.

Ideally I want a flush mount antenna that is either on top of the front of the glare shield or externally mounted on the top of the aircraft somewhere. If the latter it will also need to be weather proof.

In either case I would like the antenna lead to originate from underneath the antenna so that the antenna sits flush and the lead goes down through whatever the antenna is mounted on.

Can anyone suggest the right antenna - including where I can get it and a part number please?

Many thanks

Mike

Guest pelorus32

Thanks Captain will investigate.

Hi Pete yes it did but it is mounted on an angled "sucker plate" and the lead comes out of the end not the base of the antenna - also it's not weather proof if you want to put it outside.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32
Ah - Silly me - I missed the "external" when I read your post. So you have the Garmin 27c antenna (like mine) but you must have (I assume) a metal aeroplane.regards

Pete,

are you saying that I can put an antenna inside a composite aircraft and I'll get an acceptable signal, including inside a carbon fibre aircraft?

Regards

Mike

My Garmin 3600a (Palm Pilot fitted with garmin hardware) works beautifully with just a small swing out attached antenna inside the cockpit. Never had to use the extra antenna. Perspex and fibreglass do not seem to be a problem for the satelite signals. :thumb_up:

I once took it on a trip in commercial jet - just pointed it through the window (the antenna part) and it worked great, 40,000 feet and doin' around 500 knots. :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

regards

Have a look at www.gpsoz.com.au. They have what you are looking for. I have one on a Garmin 196. Works fine but does not seem to be any better than the Avmap aerial mounted inside the windscreen, or for that matter it does not seem noticeably superior to the built in aerial in a Garmin GPS 12 I previously used. Aircraft is a Jabiru.

Regards

Jeff

Guest brentc

I use the small original antenna that came with the GPS on an extension antenna cord that I used to use for my old Garmin 3 (a standard Garmin cable). Technically speaking the cable comes out the bottom. It's mounted on a hole in the dash with aerial on top and cable running directly into the dash opposite the aerial (hope that makes sense).

Pete,are you saying that I can put an antenna inside a composite aircraft and I'll get an acceptable signal, including inside a carbon fibre aircraft?

Regards

Mike

I had no problems with the suction type antenna from Bundaberg to home and 40 hours since. Only problem I can see is if the suction cups were to fail, the antenna could cause some distraction on retrieval from the floor.

I had no problems with the suction type antenna from Bundaberg to home and 40 hours since. Only problem I can see is if the suction cups were to fail, the antenna could cause some distraction on retrieval from the floor.

Sorry, I should have explained that I have my 296 mounted on top of the dash (left hand corner) with a bracket.

Pete, are you saying that I can put an antenna inside a composite aircraft and I'll get an acceptable signal, including inside a carbon fibre aircraft? Regards Mike

Mike

Certainly no problem thru fibreglass/perspex. Mine is inside the dash of a 230 Jabiru, so it is working well with the signals coming thru both the fuselage and the dash fibreglass.

Not sure about Carbon Fibre, although I have one inside the panel of a Sailplane that is almost all carbon fibre, however that also has mostly perspex above the panel so may not be a good example, but someone here will know.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Magellan 296

Title should say Garmin 296

I noticed a Jab I think reporting on a return trip from Darwin cooked its external GPS antenna as it was sitting on the top of the panel when the ac was parked in the midday sun and presumably self destructed with the heat. I think that antenna on along lead has a built in amplifier which would make it more susceptible to excess heat damage.

However that Garmin 296 GPS continued to work once the standard short plug in antenna replaced the one on the long lead.

In my fibreglass J160 construction I have managed to get the Garmin 296 in the panel which has an Aluminium face and have the short plug in antenna work satisfactorily.

It must be rotated and standing up to switch it on (make the connections in the socket). So it does require a little head room so the antenna can be vertical. But it does work in my AC parked in a brick garage provided I have the personal access door in the garage wall in front open to view.

When I flew the LSA 55 Jab at Griffith I sat an old hand held Magellan 320 GPS on the passenger seat which worked fine but the Garmin 296 seems to be a far better signal getter than the old hand held when sat next to each other on a table.