Propeller Design

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

What got me started thinking about this subject, was looking at the prop from Garry Morgan (my Avatar)

Why the tapered tip, compared to a flat cut tip ?

and also if anyone knows of some good web sites on prop design.

also it seems that Airmaster are the only people supplying a CS prop for the Jab engines.

Is that photo for real? I hate the look of the tail dragger Jab but with that prop, it's even worse. Guaging the size, how much ground clearance is there when the tail is up?

Guest Teenie2

H model hercs have flat tips.In a book from the mid 80's 'how to make wooden props" by Alvin Schubert he found the flat (wide) ended props performed better than the tappered version. It really is a black art.

Guest disperse

I've never researched the subject.... But my first thoughts were: the tip of the prop would hold the greatest amount of energy, thus had the potential for the greatest thrust. As I said, just a first impression.

BTW vk3auu that kink is good reading !

Just a bit of useless info! At the end of WW2, the allies made a thorough study of all the german technology.

One small item was the fact that for the same engine HP in the high performance fighters and etc, the allied aircraft had a consistent 10 to 15mph speed advantage over the axis aircraft.

This was eventually put down the better design and performance of the propellers on the ally's aircraft.

As a side issue, Jabiru are currently testing the Sensenich fixed pitch wooden props and are reputedly getting quite a bit better performance compared to the Jabiru props.