Very Important Announcement

Admin

Hi All - if there was ever an announcement that was important then this is it.

I have been advised that the defence dept has given flight schools including one of our "own" ultralight schools 30 days notice to vacate their premises at Point Cook in Melbourne.

Point Cook is the birthplace of Australian military aviation and home to the RAAF Museum and until now is the oldest operational air force base in the world.

The ultralight school there called Oasis is run by a very professional CFI Kris who runs several jabirus and a Gazelle. This action will also close the club and stop the joy flights in the Tiger Moth. Point Cook caters to nearly half of Melbourne and if it closes will severely impact the number of potential students and members to our organisation.

I ask everyone to please, please, please, get on the phone or email or anything you can do to contact the honerable Senator Sandy McDonald who looks after the defence infrastructure and heavily voice your concerns, dismay, objection etc in the closing of our historic Point Cook airfield to the small business training entity of Oasis, the club etc. Please also let anyone else know about this so they can also act.

A side note is that if this happens then many people will have to travel hours to either Tyabb, Tooradin or to Sunbury (which is the only close competition to Oasis)! In fact I suspect that as the CFI at Sunbury is a board member of RA-Aus, he will be supporting Oasis in any way he can to encourage the RA-Aus team to step in and assist Oasis and look after Kris and the students as much as possible.

So again I ask everyone to voice your concern to the Senator and let's see if we can help - thankyou

Hi Ian,

I have copied your post to some LAA 'good people' I'm sure they will support your efforts.

Good luck and keep us informed of progress.

regards Arthur

maybe if you make it easy for everyone and prewrite a letter with the email address or fax number attached then i am sure there will be a lot more people take that easier option and register their support for your cause. it becomes a simple cut and paste.

Hi Ian

Some contact details for the Honourable Senator!

Senator The Hon. Sandy Macdonald

Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence

Deputy Leader of The Nationals in the Senate

[email protected]

Suite SG112

Parliament House

Tel: 02 6277 3705

Fax: 6277 3247

Senator Sandy McDonald

P.O. Box 1780

TAMWORTH NSW 2340

Dear Senator

I have been advised that the defence dept has given flight schools including.......................

Here is a letter that Ed has put together (much better then what I could do) that you could copy and paste and make sure you edit it a little where it may not suit.

Dear Senator

I have been advised that the defence dept has given flight schools 30 days notice to vacate their premises at Point Cook in Melbourne

Point Cook is the birthplace of Australian military aviation and home to the RAAF Museum and until now is the oldest operational air force base in the world.

The Ultralight school there called Oasis is run by a very professional CFI who runs several Jabiru and a Gazelle Aircraft. This action will also close the club and stop the joy flights in the Tiger Moth.

Point Cook caters to nearly half of Melbourne and if it closes will have a severe and unjust impact to many.

Surely this sector of the Tax Paying community of Melbourne deserve better than to be treated in this manner. Is it not a fact that the Australian Tax Payers have an interest in this facility? This facility has been established as it is for many years. Why is there a sudden requirement for change that will be detrimental to many?

In times such as this when travelling costs are escalating to such a degree that those wishing to participate in the fastest growing aviation sector in Australia, will be burdened with additional costs in the pursuit of their chosen recreational activity.

As you will note by my address, like you I am not a Victorian resident. My interest is for the Sport and Recreational Aviation community at large which is seeing a steady stream of Airport closures in Australia, while we are experiencing unprecedented growth within the sector.

I should point out at this time that the revenue and employment generated by Sport and Recreational Aviation in Australia is now very significant. This is an Industry that deserves absolute support by Government!

With Respect Senator, on behalf of the Aviation community of Melbourne I ask you to reconsider the decision as it is unjust and unfair not only to the tenants, but to the Community!

Yours

Sincerely and Without Prejudice

Your name

Your Address

What is the reason for the schools closure?

Was the school having problems with Point Cook neighhbours?

Has there been an incident? Is there more to the full story ?

Have sent an email to ask why the decision to cease flight training?

I Will respond to the senator upon receiving further information along the lines of..... continued flight training at Point Cook.

Does the minister for defenseBrendan Nelson have a decision in this matter?, his email is [email protected]

regards Arthur in SA

Arthur - this is the contents of a PM that was sent to me so I rang Kris at Point Cook and he confirmed it:

"Yesterday the civilian tenants on the Southern Tarmac were given 30 days to vacate their Hangars by the Defence Department, while nearby Asbestos work is undertaken and their own Hangars are repaired or demolished.

No alternative accommodation is being offered either temporarily or permanently, no plans or proposals for the tenants to re-occupy the Hangars at a later date, it now appears that the RAAF intends to close the airfield to civilian use in the longer term.

No public consultation on the future strategy!

I understand at least 3 businesses and the local Flying Club are likely to be put out of business, and up 35 aircraft pushed off the site, including a flying school, vintage joyrides and the major Warbird operators.

A number of the Bellman Hangars being vacated are rumoured to be targetted for demolition!!

It seems "Duxford Downunder" is being FLUSHED down the drain!"

Guest Ken deVos

POINT COOK SALE

The following link maybe two or three years old but it seems to sum up what's happening:

http://www.defence.gov.au/news/raafnews/EDITIONS/4516/features/feature02.htm

Also, a Google search gives this link which examines the ramification of closing either or both Pt Cook and Essendon:

http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/documents/Strategic_Planning/Tyabb%20Airfield/Part_06_GHD_Report_Chapter_3d.pdf.

Cheers

Ken. Ken deVos

Thanks for the informationIan,

I have forwarded information to Albert Cassar, Leo Powning and Lachlan Wishart in support of RAA needs at Point Cook.

The more the Merrier..!

regards Arthur

Hi Ian

Is there an update on the Point Cook tennants dilema? Has the RA-Aus had any input into the future of Oasis and the other tennants? I hope so as they are part of an Industry that is very important to us all!

Regards

Ed

Hi All

This is what we all need to keep a close eye on! If we are content to let it happen...it will happen!

Regards

Ed

MEDIA RELEASE

AIRCRAFT OWNERS AND PILOTS ASSOCIATION OF AUSTRALIA

OVER 50 YEARS AS THE VOICE OF GENERAL AVIATION IN AUSTRALIA

16 August 2006

For Immediate Release

Lack of Aviation Policy

Alan Jones’ opinion piece this morning on 2GB in Sydney regarding the events at Bankstown Airport was most timely and appropriate.

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association fully supports Save Our Secondary Airports, the action group that is campaigning about unjust practices against general aviation operators at Bankstown. We also support groups protesting about similar events in Brisbane (Archerfield), Perth (Jandakot), Canberra and Adelaide (Parafield).

Operators can face being locked out and/or fenced in (see Australian Flying Sept/Oct 2006. p37) if they have difficulties with their property-developer landlords. They are being forced off airports with little or no recompense for any improvements or building costs incurred. There is no effort at enhancement or assistance for existing aviation small businesses – instead they are told to pay more and earn less, or leave.

Small business is Australia’s largest employer, and the nation’s continuing prosperity demands that respect and consideration of this should be paramount.

If the smaller aviation maintenance and support businesses at Bankstown and other airports are driven away, imagine what will happen to vital community services such as:

· Royal Flying Doctor Service

· CareFlight

· Angel Flight

· Emergency Services such as Bushfire spotting, control and water bombing

· Police Air

· Aerial surveys

· Coastal surveillance

Does the community really want to go without these valuable assets?

AOPA is concerned at the national decline in General Aviation activity, which we believe needs a credible aviation policy at both State and National levels. We, along with other significant aviation groups and personalities, have identified this lack of a coherent aviation infrastructure and action policy as a major drain on the Australian community. The skill base, export capacity and national assets are being diminished at a frightening rate. Australia was once a world leader in aviation – this is in danger of being lost for all time.

For More Information

Col Rodgers

President

[email protected]

Office:

Tim Blatch

02 9791 9099

[email protected]

Guest aaronb

Dam Government! I train at this school and this airport, and its a very vell ran school with good planes and fine instructors! they better not kick em out!

Guest micgrace

Hi All

This sort of thing is getting periously close at Boonah Qld. The local council has seen fit to approve a housing development just off the end of 04 There is talk of landing charges or even closure being implemented. Pretty sad for the (former) homebase of Austflight.

Micgrace :)

Yes, Channel 7 News Melbourne last night ran a story on it with Kris and the Aero Club. It was interesting that the Air Force written response was that they were closing the hangars down as they are unsafe - point here is that why is the club that runs out of a club house also being told to get out - doesn't make sense or has the Air Force been caught out.

Guest aaronb

just hearing some news it look like some civil aviation is staying, oasis and rmit flight school are staying a point cook :)

The latest from Kris at Point Cook is that Oasis will be allowed to stay at Point Cook but not at the same hangar. They are still having discussions as to exactly where and how it will all come together for them.

Kris has said that whilst this is not the best outcome it still remains to be seen what the end result will be.

This is somewhat good news and I will keep you informed as I find out.