Just Landed

Hello all, I have just discovered the site. It looks well worth while from what I have seen so far. I have been flying for 25 years, about 15 in gliders and more recently ultralights. I purchased a Jabiru last year and was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to Oshkosh which I had wanted to attend since I started flying. I will be going back again, it is really pilots nirvana! We are very fortunate to have such a great country to fly around, even if the avgas is more expensive! I look forward to joining in on the forums to share information,

cheers

Peter :thumb_up:

:welcome:pblatters gliders avgas:hittinghead::sorry:just me reading wrong again that gliding thingy sounds like fun free air at the moment :im with stupid:the way the taxs are wont be long before they tax itbest of luck neil

:welcome:pblatters gliders avgas:hittinghead::sorry:just me reading wrong again that gliding thingy sounds like fun free air at the moment :im with stupid:the way the taxs are wont be long before they tax itbest of luck neil

Thanks Neil, I don't regret starting my flying in gliders, it was great training. I trained on a low performance glider (ES52 Short wing Kookaburra - 13-1 glide ratio) by winch launching. From memory I had over 100 flights before I experienced an extended flight time of more than 5 minutes. This made progress pretty slow. I later was able to complete a five hour flight in the same aircraft. It could thermal very well in narrow thermals and was a bit like an old sports car. I transitioned from that glider to a single seat Astir CS (38-1 Glide ratio) in which I was able to fly cross country. I later had a third share of an LS1f single seat glider with a 40-1 glide ratio. Gliding is great fun and I will probably do some more in the future. My ideal is a powered glider with good cross country performance.

With 3 small daughters at home I found gliding not very family friendly as it entailed being at the field all weekend to help launch others. So a friend and myself went to Tocumwal and transitioned to a Quicksilver MX ultralight. We both soloed in under 5 hours. So have been flying hired aircraft until I was able to purchase my Jab. At least I can now go flying (weather permitting) when and where I want to go. I am looking forward to lots of cross country flying.

Are you back in the air yet?

cheers

Peter

Glider Time.

Peter,

I couldn`t help but reply when I read a flight time of 5 minutes.

I taught a guy to fly who then went on to own a Sky Dart because his log book was half full of 5 minute flights in winch launched gliders.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Welcome fellow jab flyer. Bendigo is a great place (i'm an ex-victorian). Hope you make it up to Temora some time. Its a great place for gliders and recreational aviators (and warbird enthusiasts and VH lads).

Cazza

Cazza, thanks for the welcome. I have been up to one of the Temora Airshows last year on a trip organised from Shepparton, you have a great airfield up there. I hope to visit in my own conveyance soon,

cheers

Peter 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif