Condor Scnark HA3-B

airborne

Been around for some time. Built in New Zealand. There's at least one in Oz but as you say, not much it reported about them. I like it but it's way out of my reach.

Airbourne,

That is the only one in Oz and it is/was ? based at Penfield Victoria. The reason I say is/was, is that I haven't seen it out there for a whilst. I saw it when it first arrived and it's a very impressive looking machine.

If you give Airsports at Penfield a call on 94312131 they can probably put you in touch with the owner or give you some info on it.

I seem to remember a post on these forums a loong time ago from the chap that bought it. He couldn't fly and was asking for assistance. At the time I though what a lovely machine to smash whilst you're learning. I hope he did eventually get his certificate.

Guest asic45

The machine in question is designed and built by Mr Bill Barber, based, I think, at the Cromwell strip on the south island of New Zealand. I was initially attracted to the Snark because it has a similiar configuration to my Shadow, but gives real touring performance and a lot more comfort. The aircraft was very favourably reviewed in the Sept 2006 edition of Todays Pilot, and further information can be found at

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/snark.html

When I saw Mr Barber in New Zealand, he seemed dispirited about future production of the aircraft, and a little bored with visits by tyrekickers like me, although I believe that he is at present building his 8th Snark. The aircraft encompasses a number of remarkable innovations, and deserves , in my opinion to be a success.

438126482_snark10.jpg.9e6f37f727712b5e404d9379eb40d91e.jpg

Guest asic45

When I asked Mr Barber about the cost of a machine, he said 'about the same as a Technam'

The sole Australian example of this type is owned by Barry Cooper and is hangered at Penfield.

897168525_SunburySnark004.jpg.7f1109fa1c7c02e922f4138d7ecc62db.jpg

Do you know if Barry is certified (for flying, that is) and if so, can you get his views on the aircraft in question? I'd really like to see this plane 'make the grade' and for Bill Barber to be rewarded for his achievement.

E-mail from Bill Barber

Hello Doug

Thanks for your e-mail.

I've managed to have a look at what's been written about the Snark, although I had to become a member of that forum to do so.

I've pretty much given up any thought of doing anything commercial with the Snark, to elevate it from the hobby level as it is now, to production and some sort of certification, is a huge task, I simply don't have the resources for that.

An attempt was made a few years ago to produce kits in the UK, but that didn't work either for all the usual reasons, mainly lack of money.

It's a bit of a shame, as the Snark turned out really well, but I achieved everything that I set out to do so I'm well satisfied.

I've built 5 of them and am working on the sixth (and last), unless someone comes out of the woodwork with cart loads of money and a heap of enthusiasm to throw at it, the project ends here.

Some details of ZK-JPS, the one I'm flying now. It's powered with a Rotax 912S and is the lightest so far, so it has the best performance of them all.

Cruise speed on a good day is 150 mph at 5000 rpm, climb rate is a very conservative 1500 fpm without really trying. Big slotted flaps brings stall speed down to about 38 mph.

I'll have JPS for sale some time soon, as number six is getting well on.

If you would like more detail let me know. I'll attach a pic., although I see one on the forum site.

Regards.

Bill Barber

Queenstown

NZ

PS. Papamoa is in the North Island, quite a way from here.

At 07:28 p.m. 6/05/2008, you wrote:

Show%5Cf7d9091.jpg

Attachments Preview:

Image4.jpg (Resized to 66%, Show actual size)

Snark.jpg.dc2b52888f5cf77511cf0c10d6428f83.jpg