Wing lead edge cover and roof panel

BC0979

Before I go hacking on these miscellaneous parts I thought it wise to ask ....

Is there a trick to installing these two skin extensions?

The blue tape, so I don't scratch my lexan. I know that there is a rubber edge trim that was supplied.

20231211_125703.thumb.jpg.79a0ad148780eeac33c9e0a5d5af4efc.jpg

Then there's the roof panel. The prepunched holes are quite a ways in from the edge. Flutter issue in the making?

20231211_125734.thumb.jpg.4bd8b7ca88847b30a95dfc7b940d6e15.jpg20231211_125726.thumb.jpg.81497624edf02271ab8492e3e7cd37a4.jpg

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Bryan

I made my own skin extensions, as I wanted them to turn in like the 701, rather than be an inboard extension of the leading edge shape which I think also intrudes some on the field of vision. I count myself as a reasonably competent pattern maker, but it turned out to be quite a mission, and while i am happy enough with the result, it is certainly not perfect. If it is any consolation, this is a challenging area on most high winged aircraft. And on the Savannah, since the windscreen is not predrilled, the shape there will vary some from build to build, so you will quite probably need to trim to get a good fit.

For the roof panel, the manual says to fit it on top, but I copied another local builder and fitted it under the wing skins, using those fastening strips to secure it underneath rather than on top. You have to trim a bit off the sides to get it under there. I think it does a much neater job, if potentially a bit less weatherproof. I can't recall if I put silicone sealer in there.

Don't know if you got this all sorted or not, but I snapped a few pics of my install.  I didn't rivet the lexan on the roof panel.  Instead I used urethane automotive glass adhesive on the edge.  The rest of the pieces fit with quite a bit of fiddling around.  One side of the wing leading edge extensions turned out better than the other, but that's the way the world works sometimes!  

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

• Like 1

Bodie

Thanks for the pics. They are very helpful.

No I have not installed the extensions as yet, been wrestling with it, then I get frustrated and stop.

The roof also has me puzzled as to why the pre drilled holes are at the wing skin edge and the precut lexan overlaps so much. The construction manual has been very helpful...LOL

I needed help with the extensions. One guy on the outside holding and pushing and one guy on the inside holding, adding clecos, and drilling rivet holes.  Less than ideal anyway.  I don't think I could have done it alone.  And yes, the roof was / is a puzzlement for sure.  Best thing to keep in mind is that some things are structural and some things are cosmetic.  I didn't mess with the structural as I'm not a designer / test pilot.  As far as cosmetics go, with the "experimental / amateur built" designation feel free to exercise a bit of your own ingenuity.  At times, I wondered if the Italians engaged the Chinese to translate the manual into English.  Truth be told though, after reading the troublesome parts (including the pages before and after) most of it makes sense.  This forum was the best help for all things not understood, however.