Savannah Price questions.

Oskar Ohrstrom

Hi guys, nice to see that there is a community for this aircraft!

I am new in the world of aviation and I have taken a liking to the Savannah, I have the opportunity to buy a VG and I'm trying to find out what price would be fair.

This vg that I found is a 2008 or 2009 with a rotax912uls on it, the hours on plane and engine is just over 300. a rubber replacement has to be done soon.

it is standing on full lotus floats but wheels are included.

it has a fully adj. three wing prop.

it was airworthy until august this year but did not have its annual after that.

the guy is asking 17700euro,

I have to import the plane so cost around that will be added, registration, annual etc..

A question around the engine, do I have to do the total overhaul due to age even if it only has 300ish hours?

What does the Savannah aircrafts sell for? can't find any in Sweden...

Thanks! /Oskar

IMG_1625.JPG

Oskar, to answer your question regarding the engine: whether you would be required to do a total overhaul depends on local legislation, so ask your local microlight club, they will know the answer to that one.

Apart from that, I think the reason you are not getting a lot of response here is that it is impossible to know the quality and value of an aircraft from a distance. So it may be a hangar queen, beautifully built and maintained, or it may be an absolute dog, poorly built and maintained. And the only way to tell the difference is to have someone knowledgeable look at it: ideally someone familiar with riveted aluminium skinned aircraft of this sort.

This is absolutely not like buying car: aircraft are very lightly built, and microlights especially so. The aluminium skin has lap joints, which are potential areas of corrosion as they can trap moisture and contamination. And you will certainly not be able to 'see' such corrosion without close and careful inspection. Also be aware that the Savannah comes in kit or factory built form, and kit builds may vary greatly in quality, depending on the abilities of the builder.

So, what do I think?
I think it could be a nice aircraft if it is well built and is in good condition. Though I would be very wary about the floats, and as Nev said if it has been anywhere near salt water I would not consider it: the water will have got into the skin laps, and there will be corrosion there that cannot be fixed. And this may be a problem even on fresh water.
I think it could also be a poorly built or maintained aircraft, in which case the cost of bringing it back to good condition could be many times what it is worth.

As Nev said: get a good independent check. Always.

Edited by IBob
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

48 minutes ago, IBob said:

Oskar, to answer your question regarding the engine: whether you would be required to do a total overhaul depends on local legislation, so ask your local microlight club, they will know the answer to that one.

Apart from that, I think the reason you are not getting a lot of response here is that it is impossible to know the quality and value of an aircraft from a distance. So it may be a hangar queen, beautifully built and maintained, or it may be an absolute dog, poorly built and maintained. And the only way to tell the difference is to have someone knowledgeable look at it: ideally someone familiar with riveted aluminium skinned aircraft of this sort.

This is absolutely not like buying car: aircraft are very lightly built, and microlights especially so. The aluminium skin has lap joints, which are potential areas of corrosion as they can trap moisture and contamination. And you will certainly not be able to 'see' such corrosion without close and careful inspection. Also be aware that the Savannah comes in kit or factory built form, and kit builds may vary greatly in quality, depending on the abilities of the builder.

So, what do I think?
I think it could be a nice aircraft if it is well built and is in good condition. Though I would be very wary about the floats, and as Nev said if it has been anywhere near salt water I would not consider it: the water will have got into the skin laps, and there will be corrosion there that cannot be fixed. And this may be a problem even on fresh water.
I think it could also be a poorly built or maintained aircraft, in which case the cost of bringing it back to good condition could be many times what it is worth.

As Nev said: get a good independent check. Always.

Thank you for your answer! The airplane is factory built so it should be an ok built plane. I will check the history on if it has been used on saltwater ever. but you say the it can be an issue also with fresh water, shouldn't rain also be a issue then?

Other considerations:

Some of the earlier Rotax 912s were prone to crankcase fretting.

The later 912s have a good functional ignition retard for starting. The older ones do not, which can result in poor starting and eventual sprag clutch damage.*

While the 912 has proven itself as a very robust engine if installed and run as per the manufacturers instructions, parts and and repairs can be very expensive: so much so that relatively few are rebuilt.

* Key to avoiding this is starting technique together with a good battery and wiring arrangement that turns the engine over rapidly for starting.
The standard Savannah arrangement (and various other aircraft) use the aircraft hull for the 0V battery return. However, most builders here install a good sized 0V cable from battery to engine to ensure good starting power. Some of the older Savannahs also had the battery mounted near the tail, in which case it is doubly important to ensure optimal battery cables of a suitable size.

1 minute ago, Oskar Ohrstrom said:

Thank you for your answer! The airplane is factory built so it should be an ok built plane. I will check the history on if it has been used on saltwater ever. but you say the it can be an issue also with fresh water, shouldn't rain also be a issue then?

It can be, Oskar. Savannah supply a primer paint that is used at all lap and metal joints. If applied with reasonable care on both surfaces, this should protect against occasional moisture. But any paint system has it's limits, and if moisture and contamination are constantly present...as they can be at lap joints in constantly wet situations...then corrosion may result.

It may be worth getting maintenance people to show you what corrosion on aluminium looks like: typically, once it reaches the metal, it then runs under the good paint, gradually spreading.

• Like 3

Planes intended for water use are usually specially prepared during manufacture but it adds considerable weight. and some cost.  The Cessna 180 is even strengthened  in the fuselage.  Planes should be hangared preferably. stripping and repainting can CAUSE corrosion in  the laps Frost can also do damage.  Our little birds are delicate creatures. Good luck with your search.  Nev

• Like 2

Yes, good luck with your search, Oskar! I had not meant to discourage you, only to say look carefully before you buy.
The Savannah is a very good aircraft of it's type, versatile and fun to fly. There are now thousands in use around the world, including a large number in Australia, and a smaller but growing number here in New Zealand. May one of them find it's way to you!