Gold Coast Sports Flying Club

Admin

The Gold Coast Sports Flying Club, Heck Field, Jacob's Well, we would like to invite you and those around you that may be interested, to a CASA presentation that is being held on Saturday the 31st of May. Safety topics to be covered are operations at non-towered aerodromes and situational awareness, areas that we all need to be familiar with. The seminar will start at 11:30 am and will be presented by a number of aviation safety advisors including Charles Galea. Mike Poole, the Recreational Aviation Australia Operations Manager is also planning to attend subject to the vagaries of his position.

For those who are driving, the venue is located at 1638 Jacob's Well Road and for flyers, Heck Field is situated just south of the Jacob's Well (JCW) VOR and is displayed on both the Brisbane and Gold Coast VTCs. Runways directions are 10/28 and 18/36. On the Sunday there will also be a get together and BBQ commencing at 9:30 am. If you are thinking of coming (on either day) or for further details, please contact the club president, Peter Johnstone on 0430 466 288 or [email protected] . The clubs website, containing some aerodrome information is www.gcsfc.org.au . While I realise that many may not be able to make the journey due to distance or other commitments please pass the message on those who can.

Guest sypkens

Thanks Ian for promoting this activity on behalf of Heck Field. Your site is a marvellous resource for all things flying!011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Gorilla

Just got back from a flight to Brisbane, which included dropping in at Heck field.

The field is going gangbusters with lots of new hangars and a remarkable clubhouse.

Excellent facilities and hospitality.

At previous events I have been able to arrange overnight accommodation at the generosity of some members. I suggest you contact the club if you want to stay overnight.

I have been to a few of the CASA seminars now, and they are quite good. If I was flying in for this I would get a gorilla mask to wear.

Jack.:):)

Guest aircraft1

The weather report is looking good, rain Wednesday and Thursday and fine Friday to Monday including the weekend !!!

Guest aircraft1

Unfortunately the weather gods are not looking so good so i think i will be driving to the event. Prediction is 300mm of rain over the weekend ! Now typically their forecasts are WRONG so we may be ok but i am not so sure.

Here in Hervey Bay we have had 235mm in the last 60 hours. :ah_oh::ah_oh::ah_oh:

I have had to put my dogs ( normally never allowed inside ) in the laundry as the verandah where they usually sleep is under an inch of water.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

The strong winds predicted have arrived in the last hour.

I don't think we will be going anywhere 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest aircraft1

More than 100 people attended the seminar, great turnout and hospitality. The open day planned for tomorrow has been cancelled for 2 weeks, June 14th.

Guest Macnoz

What a great day we had despite the early unforgiving weather. I only saw one craft arrive – a brave Jabiru from Caboolture.

Two excellent presentations by CASA one of Situational Awareness – very informative and entertaining. The second session on Procedures for operations at non-towered aerodromes borrowed heavily from the bible http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/airspace_reform/pdf/40pp.pdf

Both had excellent video clips and other teaching tools of incidents relevant to the topics being discussed.

Guest J430
I only saw one craft arrive – a brave Jabiru from Caboolture.

Macnoz

Thanks for the compliment however it is not deserved.....I am not brave, rather a chicken pilot. I am however not a 30 hour pilot and I could understand those not flying but opting to drive based on early morning weather.

We departed YCAB at 11 am, the rain had passed and the only brave part of the trip was accepting BNE APP vectoring us out to the middle of Moreton Bay at 2000' so the RFDS guys could land two a/c on 14 at YBBN. We figure with 30-40 knots of SE wind that in the event of a flame out we could pull her over and smack into Redcliffe from around......Norfolk Island almost! ;)

Trip down was one of the smoothest albeit slowest trips to JCW.

Trip back was quick! straight over the top of BNE airport with no delays and at GS = 139kts :thumb_up:.

Lucky to get out of JCW though, the taxiways were mostly hard..... except the bits mostly did not apply to:crying: and the club house comms did not work, so their radio attempts to give local knowlege were not heard! They even asked was I on the right freq!!!! Which I was, they discovered a problem inside as well as my bogging.

Partly my fault, I should not have assumed that just coz most were hard all would be..... lesson learned there!!! (even for us 31hour pilots 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

So as for the seminar and lunch :thumb_up::thumb_up::thumb_up: It wasa good show all round. Pity I was the only a/c flying in.

Cheers

J