UV Protection for Dacron

I have a vague memory of information on the site about this but can't find it so, wondering what people do about providing some uv protection for the wings and fuselage on aircraft like my X-Air? 303-uv-protectant is a product I've found on the internet which sounds easy to use and not too toxic. Something water based would be good? Then someone suggested I use a water based clear paint from the hardware shop if such a product exists. Advice anyone please?

Guest aircraft1

It has been found from OS experience that your best just keeping your dacron clean, a lot of the coverings can/will allow the fabric to rot underneath. Be cautious and seek advise from the RAA because i understand they have a negative outlook on UV protection for dacron. Also see the X-Air support site for more information, cheers

Guest Rocko

I looked into all this a while back, too. The 303 stuff Wayne sells works fine. I bought it off him for my old Xair Hanuman. Not that cheap, but it goes a long way. What you have to be very careful tho, is in humid climates, it can cause mildew on your fabric. This can apparently be removed by, of all things, baby bottle sanitiser (according to the Xair Forums), but is still a bitch to remove. Use the wrong stuff, and you'll kill your fabric.

I had considered proper polyurethane clear coat, but clear coat isn't recommended for the Xair Dacron, according to Michael Coates. Use house paint, and you'll probably do nasty things to yourself, since you have no idea how it can effect the dacron. Remember, it can add several KG to your empty weight.

Scotty

Guest Rocko

If You want a lot more Xair specific information on this, go to the Yahoo Groups Xair forum pages. This topic has been gone over dozens of times, in great detail, by members at one time or another. Well worth joining up for aircraft specific information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/X-Air_Ultralight_Aircraft/

You need to join up to access, but Michael is the moderator. Ain't hard.

Scott

Guest TOSGcentral

ArmorAll has been used for many years on Dacron skins. I use it and so do many members of TOSG. There have been no reported problems with it and it is easily available from automotive shops.

I doubt that it does a great deal for UV protection in our environment – maybe a little. But it does have considerable benefits in other departments.

The principle one is that it slicks the skins and (in the case of a two seater Thruster) will add 150 fpm to climb rate and a vast improvement on glide.

The skins become much easier to keep clean.

For older aircraft where there is a lot of life left in the skins but they have become faded and start looking a bit daggy – this product restores colour, then retains the colour, to close to original.

The following illustration is of a T300 I renovated and deliberately only did half of one wing and allowed it to dry to use as an example.

And no, sorry, you cannot get ArmorAll from myself or TOSG but any automotive store will have a stock.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I had heard about Amorall and it loks like the way to go...my skins can certainly do with a bit of sprucing up and the fact is the aircraft is not in the sun for long periods. I haven't heard from Michael Coates yet re X-Air's specifically and might see what he has to say also. Thanks again.

Regards

Rob

We have a Drifter here which has been sprayed with the Stits paint. It still looks good after many years and the dacron is protected, but you cannot remove the skins without breaking up the paint finish.

Guest TOSGcentral

Phil - I cannot answer your question about dope but you bring up a good point that I should have mentioned.

You have to be damn sure you have your aircraft appearance the way you want it BEFORE applying the ArmorAll (Rego Numbers etc).

Once the ArmorAll is on nothing will stick to it and it is incredibly hard to get off again.

You can certainly stitch to it for Dacron repairs etc and then ArmorAll the patch but I have never used it on anything but Dacron so cannot comment further

Tony