kinglake trike accident

Guest dracer

Guest aircraft1

A MAN has died and another has been seriously injured in an ultralight plane crash north of Melbourne.

Killed was a man aged in his mid-40s, while the second man, also in his 40s, had been flown to The Alfred Hospital with serious injuries, police media spokeswoman Snr Const Sharon Darcy said.

The ultralight plane is believed to have crashed into a tree near Coombs Road, in Kinglake West, about 80km north of Melbourne, about 4.40pm today, Snr Const Darcy said.

Police and ambulance officers were at the scene.

Not good at all

Although we know very little here from what I have seen footage wise and read they were in tiger country shortly after take off. Leaves little options if you have a problem.

Condolenses to the Naylors and best wishes to the pilot, hope for a speedy recovery.

Guest brentc

'twas a rag and tube trike, apparently which frequents the area. Problems happened at a few hundred feet and wreckage located approximately 500 metres from the takeoff area.

Such a tragedy. Both Brian and his other son are into flying. Brian owned a Gazelle and his other son owns a Foxbat based east of Melbourne.

Sadly enough I flew over the airstrip of the accident about an hour earlier. What a great strip, BUT surrounded on all sides by tall trees..............Sorry to see all that grief.........G

Guest dracer

? i live very very close but i see no trikes and no small aircraft, rag and tube r very safe, obviosly not during take off, but i guess if u have forest from end to end ur asking for trouble. i love this sport so much i fell so sad for the pair and others.

Guest High Plains Drifter

Heres a news report of the acciedent, hopefully it is fairly accurate, I think we can wait for the official report before we speculate.

via -

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23785970-2862,00.html

A SON of legendary newsreader Brian Naylor is dead after the light plane in which he was a passenger crashed near his Kinglake property.

Truck driver Matthew Naylor, 41, was a passenger in an ultralight that plummeted to the ground just after take-off from his Coombs Rd acreage about 4.20pm Thursday.

The pilot, a neighbour in his 30s, is critically injured in the Alfred hospital.

He suffered head injuries, a broken pelvis, two broken legs and internal injuries.

Police said he was an experienced pilot. He had taken off from his own property and landed at the Naylors' to pick up his mate, police said.

Shocked Kinglake locals said their thoughts were with Mr Naylor's wife, Diane, and the couple's sons, aged six and nine.

Neighbour Carl Aguis was among those rallying around the devastated Naylor family at their property last night.

He said Matthew, a local hay carting contractor, lived for his young boys.

"He was a good family man and all he cared about were his kids," Mr Aguis said.

A local mum said Matt was well loved in the area.

"It's hit Kinglake big-time, Matt is very well known here," she said.

The family declined to comment further, appealing for privacy.

Police could not confirm reports that his relatives saw the crash. Another neighbour alerted police after hearing the crash soon after take-off.

Witnesses told police the plane had taken off and reached a height of about 30m before crashing through trees about 500m away, on a neighbouring property.

Epping Sgt Glenn Parker said the Naylors were reeling. "They are devastated by the tragic circumstances of it all," he said.

Brian Naylor, 78, read the news for the Nine Network for 40 years. His huge popularity earned him the title of Father of the Year in 1988.

When he accepted the gong, a young Matthew Naylor told the Herald Sun: "He's really just a big kid. He was always the first one to ride our new motorbikes -- and the first to crash them."

Matt was one of five children along with Greg, Clinton, Jane and Trudee.

The state coroner is investigating the plane crash.

Police have notified Recreation Aviation Australia, which will compile a report for the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.