Any frequent flyers between Au and USA?

USADrifter

OK, I don't mean in the Drifter, of course. My wife and I would love to take a vacation to see both Australia and New Zealand. We're still in the information gathering stage - no dates planned as of yet. Do any of you make enough regular trips back and forth to the USA to give advice or tips on routing, pricing, etc? Of course, any trip would include stops at the Jabiru factory and the new Drifter factory as well. What is the most pleasant month for weather?

Again, just trying to gather info and ideas if anyone can share ...

Ken

One other related question: Not sure I would go out and fly an aircraft (without a local pilot) but, out of curiousity, what does a pilot with US Commercial ratings need in order to fly a light single Cessna, Drifter, etc (legally) in Australia?

Thanks,

Ken

I just got back from NY and for a change went via ICN (Seoul in Korea) breaking the journey each way with an overnight.

Flew with Asiana and even though the flight is a couple of hours more than via LAX/SFO we were refreshed, no jet lag, and didnt have to put up with any of that QF bull$hit.

Not only that it was about $500 cheaper for each of us, even including the stopover costs.

There are a million ways to go - the US have cheaper fares outbound that AU so you should find something suitable.

Weather depends on where you want to go. Avoid Summer anywhere north of about Coffs Harbour, Avoid Winter anywhere south of the Gold Coast. Winter is beautiful Brisbane North to the Tropics, although it is the windiest time around SE QLD if you are considering flying.

I will let other speak for the southern climes.

Ken

One of my companies had an office in Atlanta, so I did it regularly a couple of time each year until about 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm one who liked the LA to Sydney direct route ..... which involved getting to LA the cheapest way possible, then turn left after take-off and sit there for 14 hours and it is all over.

United did it for me as their schedules, connections & prices usually worked out best back in those days.

I'd recommend spring or fall and you can then have reasonable weather at most latitudes here.

And if you have the right licences and a bit of time, investigate hiring & flying yourself around to really see what OZ is all about. When you preliminary plan that, just think of it as being like the US in dimensions, but with bugger all people and bigger deserts ... and no Rockies to cross. The plains are similar but smaller and not as much corn or as many twisters.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

Guest ozzie

G'day,

Most visitors to Oz who wan to see as much of the place as possible no matter what the mode of transport usually land in Cairns and work their way south to Melbourne or visa versa. with the intention to fly you could venture in from the coast and see a bit more. way to many places to reccomend going to but try searching Daintree, Atherton Tablelands, Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, inland you can find some interesting towns like Mt Isa, Birdsville, Charleyville, Lightening Ridge and keep working down the map. Remember you miss quite a bit in between the towns if you fly. It may look empty and unpopulated but that not quite true even in the middle of woop woop.

ozzie:thumb_up:

G'day,Most visitors to Oz who wan to see as much of the place as possible no matter what the mode of transport usually land in Cairns and work their way south to Melbourne or visa versa. with the intention to fly you could venture in from the coast and see a bit more. way to many places to reccomend going to but try searching Daintree, Atherton Tablelands, Great Barrier Reef, Fraser Island, inland you can find some interesting towns like Mt Isa, Birdsville, Charleyville, Lightening Ridge and keep working down the map. Remember you miss quite a bit in between the towns if you fly. It may look empty and unpopulated but that not quite true even in the middle of woop woop.

ozzie:thumb_up:

You don't think that's a tad Queensland-centric do you Ozzie?

All the rest of us get is Lightning Ridge!?!

Are you the Ozzie that is the Qld Minister for Tourism?

Don't worry Ken. Those blokes are just like Texans .... but more red-neck-er ................ eh.

There is lovely stuff up there in Qld ..... but the other 75% of the country is worth seeing too.

If you want a detailed list of key items to see, I'm sure a few of us will make you a list that you can search in detail.

But if you do decide to just stay up in Qld, bring a 7 iron for the Cane Toads, some Glen 20 for the mildew, not to mention a few tickets to get into the Police Integrity Commission Inquiries. It's all great sport.

Guest basscheffers
Do any of you make enough regular trips back and forth to the USA to give advice or tips on routing, pricing, etc?

From US to Oz you will get very different prices and deals than the other way around, so you'll have to see a travel agent and/or the qantas.com website. Sometimes its cheapes to get a simple return, which may be via Asia (try Expedia) and book internal flights on virginblue.com.au or qantas.com.au. But there may also be deals going on; sometimes from Europe, Qantas advertises very good deals to get here and get 5 internal stops to boot.

Unless you can get a very good deal with internal flights, I would stay away from QF, especially when flying economy. They are the worst economy long-haul airline I have ever had the misfortune to fly on. When they order a new plane and Boeing asks "which seats would you like", their response has to be: "cheapest you have and then make them even worse to lower the price even more".

Guest brentc

From late October Qantas will be operating the A380 Airbus from Melbourne to LA and Sydney to LA. They are on sale at the moment for a limited time.

You could try breaking up the trip by stopping in at Hawaii if you haven't been there before, it's 10 hours or thereabouts from Melbourne so only about 8 from Brisbane.