how many islands of qld coasts

Guest flying high

Guest flying high

hey friends i have another hot question?

iv been looking of the coast of Australia on Google earth and it is hard to see how many island are there has anyone done any island hoping of qld coast as i have a boat 4 person and would like to check out some of these islands does anyone know if you need permission to go to them and how far of the coast are they i have looked at lord howe island and a few other are all the island owned by Australia as i know the further you go out the more the islands become owned by other countries and the biggest question were do you go to buy an island?

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Guest ozzie

There are 74 islands in the Whitsunday/ Nth Cumberland group. 76 at low tide.

Most of these are managed by the national or marine parks. you can hop onto any of them. There are several resorts that will bail you up if you come anywhere near them. don't try and sneak onto Hayman lots of security. To camp on these you will need a permit but sleeping on your boat BELOW high tide mark is cool. most of these islands in the nth of the group can be accessed by a tinny. As for Lord Howe buy a bigger boat. bit to far off shore for a day trip. A few are still privately owned and come up for sale occassionally.

Ozzie

Guest flying high
There are 74 islands in the Whitsunday/ Nth Cumberland group. 76 at low tide.Most of these are managed by the national or marine parks. you can hop onto any of them. There are several resorts that will bail you up if you come anywhere near them. don't try and sneak onto Hayman lots of security. To camp on these you will need a permit but sleeping on your boat BELOW high tide mark is cool. most of these islands in the nth of the group can be accessed by a tinny. As for Lord Howe buy a bigger boat. bit to far off shore for a day trip. A few are still privately owned and come up for sale occassionally.

Ozzie

ozzie you are a fountain of knowledge thank you as always

Try a real estate agent to buy an island, there are usually a few available around Central Qld. Do you know what you need to be able to take a boat to sea?

I'll secound Ozzie's info 74 islands in the whitsundays (as the ads keep telling me) and 132 in the cumberland group (Which includes the Whitsundays) most of which are big enough to camp on. If you want to get a taste of it go up to Airlie Beach and spend a week or more floating around this time of year is the best not to many people around and the weather is nice a stable. If your up that way make sure you go for a fly with one of the seaplane companies it will change your perspective of flying and convert you to the dark side!

Lord Howe Island might be just a bit far for a 4 person boat but if your brave people have done it before!

Adam.

Guest flying high

airlie beach that would be good to be honest i would like to buy an island eventualy im 27 so i have a few years to go maybe when im 45 technology will be better then for things such as water and power so island living wil be more easy but in the next couple of years is a good time to buy i wonder if they are affected by global warming as far a sea rising goes anybody know more than the rest of us normal every day blokes

hey friends i have another hot question?the biggest question were do you go to buy an island?098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Flying High,

The first place to start is a bank because you`re going to need a lot of money.

When they become cheap I`ll beat you to it.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest flying high
Flying High,The first place to start is a bank because you`re going to need a lot of money.

When they become cheap I`ll beat you to it.

Cheers,

ha ha franky the race is on then my friend a while ago i looked in to the idea the island themselves arnt that expensive when you remember the peace and quiet but......

WHAT ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING WILL ANY ISLANDS BE LOST

Guest ozzie

All of the Whitsunday group and many of the others are not your typical tropical island that is usually built up from a reef. They are the tops of submerged mountains.

As most have tops a hundred or so meters above the highest astronomical tide they will survive. some consideration should be given for the high tide range 6mts for mackay and 4 for shute. to be able to handle a cyclonic storm surge i suggest you build your house at least 20 mts abve high tide mark. The boffins say that the original entrance for the Proserpine River was out at Bait Reef. 35nm offshore.we may actually end up with several more islands as several will be split in two. Still worried about global warming?

Ozzie

Offshore Islands.

Flying High,

Here`s the Russell Islands just 7nm off the coast at Deeral 45 klm south of Cairns.

If you want to see a bit of the area,have a look at my Blog.

Cheers,

1073374743_Franklands.(Small).JPG.77ab4be4b9f9dda806a2a497e78ae7a6.JPG

If they split in two, we then have two islands not one. Wasn't Stradbroke Island one at the middle of last century. I heard that a shipwreck there resulted in explosives being washed ashore and they were blown up as they were considered dangerous and that split the Island.

Guest ozzie

about the only aerial shot of the northen end of 'the whitsundays'. from left

Hayman, Hook, Whitsunday, Border in the back and Nth Molle in the foreground. notice the difference to the above photos of Russell isl.

Oh, the T/M is 'GJ' a long time mate and thats me hanging off some cute little irish backpacker:thumb_up: jumping onto the beach at airlie on sunset.:thumb_up::thumb_up:

ozzie

1415975707_meGJandpassengeroverairlie.jpg.a96171589f65150a452b392e2995d9ce.jpg

Ozzie,

Wow, I did a tandem jump a while ago and the moment I got to the ground I just wanted to go up and do it again.

Cheers,

Frank.

Ps, I took Paul, of Pauls Parachuting company, flying in the Drifter a few years ago.

Guest ozzie

Lucky you, Paul is one of Australia's top instructors. He introduced the AFF(accelerated freefall) courses that revolutionised student training. i've done a couple of seminars with him. He's a pretty good pilot as well. i think he sold up and went sailing a few years ago.

ozzie

Guest flying high
High Island, with the Franklands in the background,3nm of the coast at Deeral.Taken by me from the Zenith 701.

mate what awesome photos the high islands huh who owns that island and how big is it i gotta ask ozzie do you know a good skydiving school in maroochy area that is not to expensive?

Guest ozzie

most of these islands are under the care of National Parks and Wildlife except for the actual tourist resorts. The last item that i heard of changing hands was the lighthouse and cottage on Dent Island and of course the resorts change hands every few years usually at a loss.

Skydive i recommend Ramblers at Toogoolawah, bit of a drive but top DZ.

Ozzie.

aircraft owner/operator is a nut job!

Doesn't that go with the job. I have seen at least two drop pilots that I would not fly with. Gung Ho doesn't even start to describe them.

mate what awesome photos the high islands huh who owns that island.

Flying High,

I`ve been going to High and the Franklands for 35 years,I used to do quite a bit of spear fishing at high,still go out and get a crayfish now and then,I reckon when I`m there I own the Island ;).

The guy in the Drifter is a local,Ron Biondi, who calls his aircraft "The Red Barron", he was the first in our area to buy a Maxair Drifter,the aircraft is 24 years old,he`s 77 years of age and came along when I took those photos.

A friend I go spearing with some times and this is what we get.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

1993909541_Biondi.(Small).JPG.e68ccef04377fd63b5e37ec89b881831.JPG

861950593_CopyofWarenwithCrayfish.(Small).jpg.3f2854cafbeb5f8e0f0f1dec7f8fa782.jpg

Guest flying high
Flying High,I`ve been going to High and the Franklands for 35 years,I used to do quite a bit of spear fishing at high,still go out and get a crayfish now and then,I reckon when I`m there I own the Island ;).

The guy in the Drifter is a local,Ron Biondi, who calls his aircraft "The Red Barron", he was the first in our area to buy a Maxair Drifter,the aircraft is 24 years old,he`s 77 years of age and came along when I took those photos.

A friend I go spearing with some times and this is what we get.

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

thanx frank great photos you guys seem to have a wealth of information i can only hope to be able to experience what some of you guys have experienced it says that you have your own airfield on your property is this right is it commercial in the idea that other planes can land there or is it just yours private and what does it take to be able to use your own airfield for private use as i was looking at buying 30 acres out near lara qld and setting up my own airfield if its not a bitimun rd how do you go landing?

Flying High,

If you go to my blog you will see a photo of our property and surrounding area,it`s 101 ha in total.

I built the airstrip and it is on the property and has always been my private strip but I made it available to "The Far North Queensland Ultralight Association" for many years and I ran my own school from there, I have added 2 more,in different directions, lately.

With regard to your own airstrip, the main stumbling blocks are, local council bylaws and complaints from surrounding neighbours,you need to check out the council attitude and stay friendly with the neighbours.

If there are any houses under the flight path of your approach, to the field,you may legaly fly over them on take off or landing however discussing it with the owners first is the best policy.

If the area is zoned "Rural Residential" you should have no problems with the council,if you do, state your case on the grounds that your aircraft is simply a vehicle and that you have the right to use your vehicle to access your property.

Anyone is welcome on my strip but with the legal climate we have in this country today it can become a liability nightmare should there be an accident so I don`t have flyins here anymore.

Keep the dream alive.

Cheers,

Ps, I don`t know about there but the grass grows awful fast here,you will need a tractor and slasher to keep it down.