ideas for a ferry tank

Steve Donald

I have heard that an outboard motor fuel tank works well. It was a Terrier 100 as I recall, the chap plumbed into the fuel line with a two way tee valve. The engine (Subaru) driven pump sucked the fuel through O K, he even left the prime bulb attached. Of coarse he was Experimental, the chances of Jabiru approval on an LSA would be just above zero I suspect!

Turtle Pac has 40L (and bigger) fabric tank c/w electric pump and filter etc which straps into second seat (or other locations MTOW/w&b permitting) @ $1258.

Not cheap but then neither is purchase of a 44/205L when you can use well under half of it!

Ordered one today thus have voted with my $'s on what I think is best solution.

• 3 months later...
Guest slenne

Hi Steve , i have just completed a kimberly trip from vic in a 55/3j in which i installed a 20 litre tank on top of standard tank. It worked well. eg. Halls Creek to Tillmouth well r/house into a head wind with 15 litres to spare

Guest Walter Buschor

How about just taking some extra fuel in a jerry-can and land on a deserted road and fill it up?

That is probably a lot safer than a homebuild installation that might leak when you least want it.

safe flying

the grey nomad

Mathew, I got CAR35 aproval for a fuel line quick release in my VH aircraft. The quick release fittings and fuel pump are now an aproved permanent part of the aircraft. The fuel bladder ferry tank is not a permanent part of the aircraft.

HPD .. This is exactly the arrangement I am looking for. Can you advise where I can get info on the certified quick-release fuel fittings?

Many thanks

..Vince