ideas for a ferry tank

Steve Donald

Ok Steve - I'll bite. :big_grin:

Why:question:

You've got around 3.5 hours with 65 liter tank (and reserve). :thumb_up:

Most people would need a whizz and a break by then. :confused:

After flying for 3 to 3.5 hours I would be wanting to check engine oil level as well. :ah_oh:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

that did not help, hey J170 AND 160 HAVE 8 HRS FUEL, no climbing out to check oil, also many of my destinations require 4 hrs +reserve soooo 20 ltr ferry tank solves this, as for a whiz that is not the issue, what was the question, ferry tank any helpful ideas:off topic:

Guest High Plains Drifter

Steve, have you looked into getting a flexible blader tank made up for, say, the pax seat. If it is required, you may be able to get a CAR35 to approve such an instalation.

The ferry tanks can be installed with quik release fuel lines, so removeable when not needed.

http://www.long-range-bladder-fuel-tanks.com/client.aspx?id=164&k=Aircraft%20Tanks

Sorry about that Steve - there used to be a 85 liter tank option for the old LSA. I'm sure it would fit into your 120 and give you the extra endurance.

regards

Guest brentc

I'm thinking that in theory being LSA registered, Jabiru could possibly approve fitting of the 85 litre tank that BigPete speaks of. It would limit your MTOW of course, however is this a permanent solution?

Ask Jabiru - they will tell you what long range tank / ferry tank they will approve for a LSA (not the 55 series) / J120.

ferry tank

:thumb_up:try this one 20lt jerry can with a hose in through the filler cap to an electric fuel pump to a marine fuel tank quick fitting secured to the filler pipe when not in use the quick filler is sealed when required tie the jerry can into seat with seat belt

Steve, try a flat 24 Ltr outboard tank. They come with guage & quick release coupling. They fit nicely on the J120 tank and the straps on the 120 tank go straight over the top for securing. They should not be to hard to couple up.

I've looked at it briefly as I wish to head north to station country where fuel supply might be a problem. Just a thought.

cheers Kevin sounds like a great idea, how are you finding the J120 so far i have heard the performance is outstanding, the extra fuel is handy especially when you can not buy fuel 2 hrs out gets to be a bit of a problem at times, i should have my 120 about end of Sept, ill scoot down to Kadina for a visit when its here. we have family there as well so it makes a good destination from Pt Augusta, again thanks for the fuel tank suggestion:clap:

There have been some creative and useful suggestions for providing extra endurance to aircraft with limited fuel tanks. What are the regulations or legalities for adding extra 'ferry' tanks for occasional flights, especially with an aircraft like the J120? By adding quick release points for fuel, does this change the aircraft's registration requirements.

Regards, Mathew

By adding quick release points for fuel, does this change the aircraft's registration requirements.

Mathew, I got CAR35 aproval for a fuel line quick release in my VH aircraft. The quick release fittings and fuel pump are now an aproved permanent part of the aircraft. The fuel bladder ferry tank is not a permanent part of the aircraft.

no it does not change reg requirement or classification, as long as the TO weight and cg is within the certified range, and the appropriate approval is sought for such additions, this is common practice in GA as well, and demonstrates good airman ship to consider sufficient fuel for operations in remote locations. a constructive attitude toward flying our expanse of remote locations needs to be foremost rather than just a whinge about correct policy ect. what we need simply is basic safe operations without the crap yet maintain an astute recognition of safe legal operations

thanks Pete yep that would sort out the delema, as the extra 20 ltrs solves the main issue 4 hr fuel range is quite problematic in my region due to return times and availability, and at least you would not have to worry about stretching endurance and drawing a lot of attention. 85 ltrs is about spot on for most ops in Auz, just send your passenger to Jenny Craigh and stay within your weight specifications.

It's probably the best answer:

a. It's always there ready to use or not, (the extra capacity)

b. doesn't stop you having a passenger or picking one up,

c. far easier to refuel than a seperate bladder/tank

d. would have to be much safer than exta fuel connections

e. might even be cheaper as well.

:big_grin::big_grin:

regards

I once used a 20 litre tank on the passenger seat, with 2 hoses going int the top, both sealed. One hose went to the breather int the main fuel tank, the other went outside to be a breather. The theory was that as the main tank drained down the fuel from the 20l was drawn into the main tank and air replaced the fuel in the 20l. I used 18 of the 20 litres and could actually see when the fuel started to be drawn from the main tank.

does anyone have plans or information for a ferry tank and the best way to connect it, and the fuel transfer method, in a LSA or J120, cheers.

Steve Donald, probably would of paid to expand on your thread starter question to save us answering what you already knew :big_grin:

Steve,If your 120 perorms as well as ours you can't but be impressed. We're burning 14 Ltr ph @ 1900rpm sitting on 107 kts. Had a few GA sceptics but they've gone quiet after going for a fly. The bigger ailerons, elevator & rudder makes it a different a/c to the early model and it climbs like a beauty. Hope to catch you sometime.

The only gain on useing a removable tank over larger fixed tank is the larger bagage volume closer to the centre of "G" available when the extra fuel is not required.

Some might have the 'larger' fixed tank, and the ferry tank :thumb_up:

Never mind it raises awareness for others as well, but we did get some great advice and suggestions hey, that's what its all about, now all i have to do is learn more from Wayne Johns the engine guru, he is a whiz with Jab engines, he is probably the last one left that can balance a set of carbs and shim the valves on a performance bike correctly, he was doing that when he was a kid, a born spanner man and a good bloke as well.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• 8 months later...