Garmin 295 shutting down

Guest airsick

Guest airsick

I have a Garmin 295 unit that is just shutting down. The unit powers up, runs for about 30 seconds and then shuts down. It is running on external power so batteries shouldn't be the issue but it has me stumped. Anyone else come across this before?

What version of Unit Software (firmware) are you using? Version 5.40 was released on 26th June 2008. However, 30 seconds won't give you enough time to upgrade the firmware.

Is the unit indicating that external power is getting to it? (trying to eliminate a possible faulty power lead).

When did this problem first appear?

Can you reproduce the problem in another environment? (eg. your car)

Guest pelorus32

Does the 295 take an extra memory card? If it does and you have one in then remove it and restart the machine. Much of the strife with small units from whatever maker appears to come from memory cards. I went through 3 Navman units before we worked out that it was the data card.

Regards

Mike

Guest airsick

The unit started playing up on Saturday. Went out again on Sunday to have a play with it and confirm power was getting to it (which it was) but it started raining so I haven't had much chance to look into it. Once I get back out to the plane I will remove the unit and then I will be able to answer the other questions.

Thanks.

Apologies airsick, I misread the model number of your GPS. The Unit Software for the 295 is Ver. 2.50, as of Dec 11, 2003. The original firmware has never been updated by Garmin so that's not likely to be the problem.

Try removing the memory card and battery, then connect to external power and see if it works. If problem persists, then the unit may have developed a fault. In that case a hard reset may be an option before sending it off for repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest airsick

Well it appears that Garmin in Australia does not want to help. I spoke to them the other day and they gave me a reset code that didn't work. I called them back (and after being on hold for about 15 minutes) they informed me that the code I was given was for the 296 and that I should send in the unit for assessment. I asked if I could try to reset the unit with the correct code and they wouldn't give it to me. When I asked why it was offered in the first place they said it shouldn't have been. They have been unresponsive to support request via email as well. I think Garmin has contracted someone to do their support and, in my opinion, they chose badly.

I lashed out and updated the aviation database too as I had read somewhere that if it gets corrupted the unit may freeze up. After updating still no luck but I was getting repeated errors stating that a waypoint had been changed or deleted each time the unit powered up. I expected this after the first power up (after all, that's why you update the database!) but on every subsequent startup? This got me a bit suss.

The only thing I could think of was that the saved routes were referring to a deleted waypoint and possibly corrupt waypoint and triggering the start up warning. This could also be causing the power off problem. I deleted all the saved routes and it seems to have rectified the problem. I haven't flown with it yet but will give it a go on the weekend.

So, in short - if any one is experiencing similar issues then try deleting your saved routes and updating the aviation database.

Well it appears that Garmin in Australia does not want to help. I spoke to them the other day and they gave me a reset code that didn't work. I called them back (and after being on hold for about 15 minutes) they informed me that the code I was given was for the 296 and that I should send in the unit for assessment. I asked if I could try to reset the unit with the correct code and they wouldn't give it to me. When I asked why it was offered in the first place they said it shouldn't have been. They have been unresponsive to support request via email as well. I think Garmin has contracted someone to do their support and, in my opinion, they chose badly.I lashed out and updated the aviation database too as I had read somewhere that if it gets corrupted the unit may freeze up. After updating still no luck but I was getting repeated errors stating that a waypoint had been changed or deleted each time the unit powered up. I expected this after the first power up (after all, that's why you update the database!) but on every subsequent startup? This got me a bit suss.

The only thing I could think of was that the saved routes were referring to a deleted waypoint and possibly corrupt waypoint and triggering the start up warning. This could also be causing the power off problem. I deleted all the saved routes and it seems to have rectified the problem. I haven't flown with it yet but will give it a go on the weekend.

So, in short - if any one is experiencing similar issues then try deleting your saved routes and updating the aviation database.

Airsick, who wwere the Garmin people you contacted?

Guest airsick

I used the details on the Garmin site - http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/au/home/support/support/supportcontact/

They give a phone number - 1800 235822 - and an email address - [email protected]

The guy I spoke to the first time was quite helpful and forthcoming with information (although I think he thought I had the 296 not the 295 so the info he gave me was wrong) but subsequent attempts at contacting them and solving the problem were fruitless.

In the end it felt as though they wanted to delete the user routes for me and slug me a service charge. I have written to Garmin in the US to tell them about my experience.

I used the details on the Garmin site - http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/au/home/support/support/supportcontact/They give a phone number - 1800 235822 - and an email address - [email protected]

The guy I spoke to the first time was quite helpful and forthcoming with information (although I think he thought I had the 296 not the 295 so the info he gave me was wrong) but subsequent attempts at contacting them and solving the problem were fruitless.

In the end it felt as though they wanted to delete the user routes for me and slug me a service charge. I have written to Garmin in the US to tell them about my experience.

Give Avionics 2000 a ring http://www.avionics2000.com.au/default.htm