Dual use of a 406Mhz EPIRB

Alan

I have been intending to buy and EPIRB for my aircraft for some time, just never got around to doing the research for what I need. Now I have to as the time has come to replace the one I have on my Trailer Sailer (Cole 23). I am not sure what registration documentation is now required for the EPIRB, but does anybody know whether one 406 Mhz EPIRB can be registered as to be used to service both a boat and an aircraft?

Alan

Alan. I just recieved my new Kannad 406 PLB yesterday.The registration forms came with the unit.There is a spot on the form to register the PLB for your boat and or the aircraft. It was all pretty simple. You can also register it on line as well. Jim.

Guest pelorus32

G'day Alan,

the issue with the "new" 406 beacons is that their hex code is registered with AMSA. When it goes off AMSA want to know that it is a Cole Trailer Sailer or a Lightwing or whatever. I think it may pose a problem registering for both.

Go to the website:

http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/index.asp

And you will find a 1800 number. Give them a call and ask them. I've always found them more than helpful.

Kind regards

Mike

Terry,

Was at 5500ft tracking from Dalhousie Springs to Warburton Groove (north Lake Eyre), 2.8hrs into flight to William Creek when it became very quiet (except for my wife's scream) as an electrical fault took out both fuel pumps on Rotax 914....no mechanical pump on 914's!.

Radio notification to (I think) Melbourne with normal information plus sat phone number, who passed it to AUSSAR and asked me to activate EPIRB.

Landed on a station track on Macumba flood plain without damage to persons or aircraft about 45nm NE of Oodnadatta on SW edge of Simpson Desert.

Not long after landing got a very welcome phone call from Canberra confirming exact location and other nicities like personal and aircraft situation. When he called back he let us know that the police were on there way and I could turn off the EPIRB as it had been received.

Being a Friday afternoon could not organise anything before Monday. As it turned out could not locate intermittent electrical fault thus aircraft was recovered to Adelaide and we left after five fun filled days viewing the sights of downtown Oodnadatta.

The only comment rearly to be made of the expearance and the sights of Oodnadatta is that our booze bill was larger than the food bill!.

Problem has been located in Adelaide and when fixed (and wings etc replaced) will return it to Qld and try and get my wife to fly again. I've said it's OK now to her that you KNOW you can land without an engine, but am having some resistance....don't know why!!!

Did phone my instructor on return and passed on that he must have got something through to me when he was ripping his hair out trying to teach me a couple of years ago.

Tried to add, but mucked it up, that AUSSAR were very good. They notified NOK and arranged the police to come.

Seem to be at end of the paper chase; ESIR generated by Air Services via CASA and RAA, plus CASA and RAA Incident&Accident Reports.

Cannot express strongly enough value of registered 406, plus the other requirements like water and shelter (I carry space blankets) layed down. Sat phone also very welcome. Also a large amount of luck on having suitable land under you.

Most important however...when in doubt FIRSTLY FLY THE AIRCRAFT!!!

Heon,

Is your EPRIB the type fitted with the GPS location transmitter?

If so or not so do you think it make any difference to the time it took to locate you? (Ignoring any differences your satellite phone may have made).

Just trying to see if it's worth spending the extra bucks for a GPS equipped 406MHz EPIRB.

Rgds,

Glen

A 406 with or without GPS? Thats a question.

In this occasion of mine I was able to land and actervate EPERB and speak to Canberra and confirm details.

Think there is a good case for EPERB that can be/or is actervated prior to landing/crash with GPS location however it would have to be put against the additional cost and complexity of that system.

One should remember that the 406 is more accurate than the 121(? or what ever the old one was).

Think a 406 that can be manually actervated, or activates itself if subjected to a G loading at a level that the crew may not be capable of actervation would be ideal. Also beleave a method of communicating with the rescue authorities (sat phone/HF/or ?) is of great advantage if one is capable of doing so. In my case turned "total engine failure near Simpson Desert" with all its conertations to "alls OK we would like some help". This must be a terrific help to the rescue authorities.

Again, missed the point of Eastmeg 2 question to a degree. I was talking with Canberra before they had my EBERP signel as during my glide my sat phone number was given to Melbourne Radio (?) who passed it on to them. I told them I would turn it on on landing (all being well) when I was at 2000ft. After that I did not talk to anyone...was a little distracted on other things. They must have given it a bit of time before calling.

I have been intending to buy and EPIRB for my aircraft for some time, just never got around to doing the research for what I need. Now I have to as the time has come to replace the one I have on my Trailer Sailer (Cole 23). I am not sure what registration documentation is now required for the EPIRB, but does anybody know whether one 406 Mhz EPIRB can be registered as to be used to service both a boat and an aircraft? Alan

Hi Alan, thread seems to have wandered.

Last week I bought a GME 410G and registered it online, the system allows you to register multiple aircraft, cars and boats. When you go somewhere you can simply log-in, select the particular plane/boat/car you're using and add any usage/trip details that might help SAR should things go pear-shaped. You can also add/delete any vehicle, contact or modify your own details at any time.

The actual initial registration simply consists of putting in the unit hex code, basic supplier info, basic details about yourself, contacts in case of emergency, and details of the vehicles you want to initially include. Took maybe 10 minutes, including poking around to see what's what.

As I said, you can set-up multiple vehicles, I had my aircraft plus my 4WD registered, as an experimet I just went in and added the 2 club aircraft which I also fly, no problem. Appears, however, that a total of 4 vehicles of any type is the maximum but of course you can log-in and change those at any time. If you were a club with multiple beacons, you can also register & manage them all under one log-in, it would appear that every beacon would have up to 4 vehicles.

If you want any more specific details PM me.

Mark

Just trying to see if it's worth spending the extra bucks for a GPS equipped 406MHz EPIRB.

Glen

Personally I think if you're going to invest this amount of money in safety not to invest in the GPS just doesn't make any sense.

Please see my answer to Marius in post 'Recreational Flying Forums > Cockpit talk > General Discussion > Need Help Digital emergency beacon' regarding survival time statistics which I found in an magazine (I think it was Pacific Flyer). As I said in that response, the difference in precision between the GPS and non-GPS units could mean if you come down in the mountains they could actually start a ground search in the wrong valley.

Mark

Quote "the 410 will give SAR a 5 km radius to work within whereas the 410G will give them a location down to 120m to search for you".

Thanks Mark,

That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Cheers,

Glen