Hi

Guest JohnH

Guest JohnH

Hi,

Just moved from GA to RA as CASA is making medicals a hassle. Seems really stupid but boy are these little aircraft really something once you learn to fly them.

Anybody interested in selling me a J230?

John

hi Johm and welcome, a 230 is my choice also but i'm a long way off that yet ( still a student ) then I have to get the money together. Jabiru had a couple 230s on their website a few weeks ago, maybe worth a look

steve

Guest JohnH

Hi Steve,

Thanks.

The Jab site is good but some prices are unrealistic.

ive been lucky enough to fly one.

Much easier than the little LSA not as mch fun but a serious touring aircraft.

Regards,

John

Guest basscheffers

The amount of choice in RA-Aus aircraft is staggering. For once, competition is against us as too many different manufacturers probably means nobody is making any in big enough numbers for economies of scale to work. Bugger. And because they are so new, there is no chance to buy a really old one cheap. At least not until the 760KG rule comes in and you could buy a C150/152. (Which probably won't be too comfortable for a big bloke like me!)

So why the J230? Have you tried many others? I am training in a Sportstar and really like it, though I plan to do the rounds in SA after training and fly as many different types as I can both for experience and to figure out which I prefer.

That said, apparently, someone did a fender bender in the Sportstar last week and it'll be a couple of weeks before it is back on-line! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif The school brought in a J230 to replace it in the mean time but that developed an electrical fault so no flying for me this weekend! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif051_crying.gif.edc6b33a234e272ee13f0ec0ae40b12a.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif But at least I'll get to fly a Jab soon and find out what all the fuss is about.

Also, what's the hassle with the medical? I had to do a class 2 anyway because I am flying at Parafield and they require it. Not much of a hassle, renewing should be even easier, I would imagine.

Guest JohnH

Hi,

Its me that wants to buy one to put on line at the Oaks.

An yes I have tried the Sportstar and the Tecnam but they need my wife to climb over the wing. The lightwing speed is also a possibility but I like the Jabiru 6 cylinder engine becauasse I beleive the gearbox on trhe rotax intriduces an unneccessary complication. But as my wife says I am usually wrong. Having said that I like the high wing becauise most of my hours are on a Cessna 172. The J230 has a better performance at half the fuel usage and composites do not corrode.

Regards,

JohnH

Sorry to hear you were grounded Bass. I got some more flying time in today (sat) as weather at Murray Bridge was absolutley beautiful, unlike yeaserday when heavy gusts and rain kept me grounded. You are right about doing the rounds, which I will do after I get my wings, to date I have only ever flown the 170 and love it. My chioce for the 230 at the moment is: cabin area and ponies to carry the extra gear. (now before anyone starts, no I'm not carrying contriband :hittinghead: lol) its Aussie built and prety reliable. Is there any other reasonably priced plastic on the market that can claim this. I have heard a bit about the 760KG rule, is there a date yet or is it still here say?

steve

Guest JohnH

The hassle with the Class 2 is the constant necessity at my age to provide an endocronologists certificate an opthal;mogists certificate and a cardiologists certificat as well aas a constant supply of daily bood test results. For that price I can fly 10 hours. Anyway I like ther little Jabiru its much more fun to fly. I wish that in 1956 that is what I learned on instead of a Tiger Moth.

PS How can Parafield require anything?

Regards,

John

Guest basscheffers

John, there's lies, damn lies and statistics! Which one is more reliable out of the two I have no clue on... 'Common sense' tells us we need these expensive aero-engines and rebuild them every other weekend to be safe and yet the limited statistics I have seen about folks running Mazda rotaries in their kit planes makes it seem like they run rings around the Rotax and Jabiru engines when it comes to reliability.

I see what you mean about the medical then, that is a hassle. And you are right these old crates provide no advantage over recreational planes unless you want to fly real fast, with more than two people or carry lots of stuff... (and don't mind paying the extra money to fly an older aircraft that burns twice the fuel for half the performance)

Looking at the old cars some people drive here (compared to the north western Europe), I don't think anything rusts in the dry air of SA, but Sydney may be different! ;)

Not sure how they can, but I would assume the school isn't making me spend 200 bucks between the doc and CASA for nothing. I'll ask. Or is this maybe a GAAP thing and you would need it at places like Bankstown and Mooranbin too?

Steve, the 760 kg rule is still going forward according to latest RA-Aus magazine, although it is moving at aviation speed as expected. You do have to remember that with higher load (up to 430's limits) the 230's stall speed increases above the RAA maximum so even with the 760 kg rule you could not do it. And you would carefully need to check balance of course!

Cheers,

Bas.

Why the J230

I guess for me having flown the smaller LSA and J160 and wanting access to something for longer trips - eg Temora, Birdsville, camping down the coast etc the J230 seems a natural progression from the smaller birds in the fleet.

As someone that hires rather than owns aeroplanes, for me the Jabs are probably the most commonly available, and I'm happy to support something manufactured (airframe and engine) in Oz.

Hi Guys. Can I put my 2 penny's worth in regarding Parafield. The airfield is squeezed in between Adelaide International and RAAF Edinburgh, ie Controlled Airspace. 'nough said!!

I'm flying from Aldinga at the moment and that lies about 15k's south of the CAS limit. Much easier, less stress, and no medicals needed.

Guest basscheffers
I'm flying from Aldinga at the moment and that lies about 15k's south of the CAS limit. Much easier, less stress, and no medicals needed.

And also an hour and a half drive away for me! 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif (it would have been my first choice otherwise)

That said, I like flying at Parafield; the stress of GAAP is much overrated, I think.

Cheers,

Bas.

Guest basscheffers
I guess for me having flown the smaller LSA and J160 and wanting access to something for longer trips - eg Temora, Birdsville, camping down the coast etc the J230 seems a natural progression from the smaller birds in the fleet.

Absolutely, the back of a 230 seems like a good space for some (light!) camping equipment.

I am hoping to get to that point some day; right now I have very young family and I'd need a four seater to go camping!

That said, I'll have to drop the kids off at the grand parents and go to Birdsville one of these years as the missus loves horses and I love flying. :big_grin:

Cheers,

Bas.

hahaha! your a woos Doug just like me :thumb_up: . . I too opted for an out of town one and I'm glad I did. But eventually airports even busier than Parafield will have to be negotiated, later down the track though.

Steve.

John, sorry to deviate from your original thread but this may affect you anyway.

Steve, at the rate that GA owner/pilots are leaving Parafield, it won't be long before the developers get in there and take over the complete field instead of nibbling at the edges as they are at the present. Although that's a sad state of affairs for Parafield, Aldinga is absolutely blooming with their arrival there. When John starts his nav's, he will, no doubt be down that way and should drop in for a meal/coffee at their beaut cafe'

Doug I have recently heard talk about parafield being shifted so guess it wont be long before it is suburbia. Have you seen the industrial buildings popping up south of the Edinbourgh strip. Developers are also nibbling there too. I was taught to prepare for an EFATO EVERY TIME I take off which I do, wonder how the RAF pilots cope now.

Steve

JohnH sorry for straying off topic again but its what this forum seems to do

Guest basscheffers

Where would Parafield go if it is shifted? I have heard people say this too, but can't find (Google) and official policy on this. The government owns it, so it is unlikely to shift. The reason being that they will be afraid that using all the money from the sale to build a new airport will not go down well with voters. So if anything happens, it will just close and the money will go to general revenue. Maybe, just maybe, they will make available a bit of land up north for free and pay some compensation to the business to fund their move, but a commercial entity will have to pay for the build. That is my theory anyway.

While it may be possible for some to move to Murray Bridge or Aldinga, for many they are simply too far away. (Gawler would be the only alternative for me) And Parafield is the only training airport with sealed runways in the area, which I would think is a bit of a requirement for the folks doing CPL training there.

I simply don't see it happening any time soon (like in the next decade); these things take time and right now there doesn't even seem to be serious talk about it.

" The government owns it, so it is unlikely to shift."

Yea, right. With the explosion at the Mawson Lakes development, and the new bypass to Port Adelaide, that piece of land is ripe for the picking. Sure, it might not be in the next decade but it'll happen. I feel it in me bones:laugh: If we ever get to a point where another airfield is required for Adelaide, it would be easier to take over Edinbough, or share it, as the RAAF don't acually fly alot from there, do they. It's not what I concider an 'active' base, but then being ex RAF during the cold war, anything less than 24 hour rediness is not active. Them's my thought anyway.

Guest basscheffers

Well, shift would imply a seamless move to somewhere else; build a new airfield, then close Parafield, with the proceeds of the sale bankrolling the new one. That is unlikely, more likely is the government saying: "We are going to close you down in 5 years, if you want to keep operating, you better find somewhere else to do it. What's that, some funds? You are joking, right?"

Edinburgh would be a pretty good choice. Adelaide itself isn't too busy either, it could easily share, especially with the controlled airspace endorsement coming up. Plenty of space for 05R/23L and GA terminal in that corner. Much busier airports share heavies and planes like ours. (see Van Nuys in California) If the rich suburbs around it would put up with it of course. (which they won't...)