Vertex VXA-710 Transceiver

Bubbleboy

Hi all....has anyone got a Vertex VXA-710 Hand held Tranceiver? Im curious as to their quality and usable air range? Can someone give me a first hand review? Will be doing some Trike flying soon and was wondering if this radio would be suitable for this kind of use?

thank you in advance

Scotty :big_grin:

Guest brentc

I have a Vertex 710, however it's not fitted in an aircraft. I use it a lot and have been fiddling with it today listening to stuff from the office. Mine has a problem when used as a handheld - the case it too tight and the battery too tight and sometimes the speaker gets crushed. Have to release the battery frequently to fix it.

Downsides- it doesn't handly interference well and has an electronic squelch and takes a bit of fiddling to adjust. The buttons are small and if you're using gloves won't be able to press them. You could however program in all required stations and just turn the knob to change them with your gloves on.

For my money on a trike I'd be considering the 210 which are only less than US$200 at the moment. A very solid unit, waterproof too, just don't forget the aerial adapter if you need to use it on an external aerial. The 210 is a little less 'electronic' (as in it's not computerised) too, but I feel it may receive too much interference to be any good.

710 - for my money, not worth the extra cash over the 210 as the 710 does stuff that is of no use in Australia.

As for air-to-air range, I can get around 6 miles from ground to air to an aircraft in the circuit, so I'm thinking range would not be an issue airborne and I have used it in my aircraft to transmit with no problems at 20 miles with the standard aerial.

For what the 210 costs you could get one and if it didn't work would have no problems selling it as a pure handheld.

Hi Brent....well thats very interesting. Not what I was hoping to hear but a genuine response and I thank you for that. So what is a good brand hand held Transceiver for Trike use then? Hope this is not going to open a can of worms here!

scotty :ah_oh:

Guest brentc

The vertex is ok and the Icom too. My only worry for you would be operating the unit using gloves, howevere most of the units these days have electronic squelch and small buttons so will probably also have the same problems. Regarding interference the boss at the airport has one in his bedroom and the PC's and TV cause so much interference that turning the squelch all the way up won't stop it opening. They don't have an ANL like the Icom do.

Brent ...what model Icoms are popular. I heard through the grape vine that the older ones will be no use towards the end of the year due to the frequency spacings being reduced or something to that effect.

Scotty

Hi Geoff...tell me more about it. What model number is it? I cant seem to find any information on it. How old is it?Scotty

G'day again Scotty

Sorry my last was a bit vague.

Have just pulled the battery off and mine is a VXA-150 which I think is the cheaper/less featured model.

I use it to monitor the local frequencies and have their MH-44 Speaker/Microphone fitted to it. I take it everywhere in the aircraft as a backup for the panel mounted Xcom.

As mentioned previously I am very happy with the quality and have had it about 3 or 4 years. I know Yaesu's other gear and the Vertex is solid, feels good and has so far performed faultlessly.

Brent makes a good point about use with gloves. The buttons on mine work well with naked fingers but may be a bit small if used with gloves.

Based on my experience with mine I reckon that the Vertex units are equivalent to or better than some of the similar Icom handhelds that I have used.

Hope that helps. Regards Geoff

Thanks Geoff...I appreciate that. They sound like a reasonable unit. I guess as long as you have good reliability approaching the circuit area etc , they should fit the need. I really appreciate the advice guys.

Scotty :thumb_up:

Guest Andys@coffs

Scotty

As a trike flyer can I suggest that Radio comms and noise is hard enough in a trike without making it harder. By that I mean that in my opinion a portable radio will make it harder.

In my trike I use the Microair M760, though the Xcom will probably also work just as well. That said the actual radio is the least of the problems and in my opinion not the only area to focus on. I would suggest that you look to have:-

1) Active noise reducing headsets (ANR) these are fantastic in a trike.

2) A microphone that can be switched on an off and i dont mean the push to transmit (PTT) button, I mean in addition to the PTT, a switch that stops noise being fed back via sidetone into your headsets. If there is constant noise via sidetone then the ANR becomes an expensive but useless device. In my set up i have a toggle swith added to the left earmuff of the headset that switches the mic out of circuit. Mic is live for circuit flying, and switched off once out of circuit for any cross country work. My ANR trike specific headset and helmet came from John Reynoldson (sp?). (http://www.aerialpursuits.com/index.htm) you may need to ask for the mic switch to be added.

3) the PTT button should be attached to the bar. When things get choppy you want to use the radio, but not be out of control when ever you have to because your hands off for radio.

Personally a handheld radio with appropriate headsets and extended PTT may be Ok in a trike but my radtech background suggests that it is likely to be noisy and 2nd rate when compared to the alternate (albeit quite a few more dollars expensive)

For what its worth...

Andy

In thinking it through, the helmut was around $300, the headset $300, ANR mod to headset an additional $200, the radio itself Approx $1200 and the antenna (airband 1/4wave dipole) $50ish @DSE, so thats around $2050. if the $1200 radio could be swapped out for a $400 handheld that wasnt noise affected by engine and or transmit feedback (RF) into the mic audio (AF) and many of them seem to be, use the search function in these forums to search for handheld discussions around that issue, then that might be a good saving.

Thanks Andy...a Lot of food for thought there! Is the noise all ignition related? If so has no one designed a suppressor of some kind? Or am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Scotty :confused:

Guest hatrack

vxa-150

I have a VXA-150 in my open frame gyro. It has been heard 100kms away crystal clear from a 500' call. Wind is a problem as is engine noise also. But my biggest problem is my strobe. I have tried everything to no avail. Don't know how the Icoms go in that dept. The VXA-150 does have ANL which helps a bit.

Every bit of info helps, hey.

Grant.

Guest bigblockford545

I have a Vertex VXA-710, once the ANL is activated the interference isn't to bad, though my TomTom gps and my computer monitor both cause some interference on some frequencies.

It's been used to request permission for circuits at YMMB before heading out to the aircraft and listening to the ATIS on the way to the airport or just listening to melbourne radar while work is slow.

I bought mine from here:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/The-Aviation-Fly-Market

have fun

Simon

Thanks guys....I really appreciate everyones advice. I have decided to go with a Vertex 220 and when I buy a Trike I will get a suitable intercom which I have been discussing with a member.

Scotty :thumb_up:

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Scotty et al,

I do not get to this site that often and I found the thread.

Firstly, I have worked with VXA150 through 210, 220, Pro IV, Pro V and Spirit 710. I also work with the Icom A22/3, 4, 5, 6, 200, 14 and all their derivatives.

The VXA150 and 210 are yuk and I would not touch them with a barge pole as they have very difficult output circuits that are prone to problems.

All other Vertex including the 710 are bullet proof. We recommend the VXA220 as the best - best value and best transceiver we have ever worked with. As for finger trouble, the 220 has big rotator knob for glove work and separates frequency selection between the rotator and up-down knob on the face. Best value for money in town! In the US you can secure for less than $300 - more than a $1,000 less than fiddly panel mount derivatives.

My 710 works well and now with its second owner - buttons a little small and the squelch a little sensitive but it works perfectly in a trike no problem.

Now to dispel some myths in the threads:

Personally a handheld radio with appropriate headsets and extended PTT may be Ok in a trike but my radtech background suggests that it is likely to be noisy and 2nd rate when compared to the alternate (albeit quite a few more dollars expensive) For what its worth...

Andy

In thinking it through, the helmut was around $300, the headset $300, ANR mod to headset an additional $200, the radio itself Approx $1200 and the antenna (airband 1/4wave dipole) $50ish @DSE, so thats around $2050. if the $1200 radio could be swapped out for a $400 handheld that wasnt noise affected by engine and or transmit feedback (RF) into the mic audio (AF) and many of them seem to be, use the search function in these forums to search for handheld discussions around that issue, then that might be a good saving.

Andy, sorry mate, absolute piffle. Handhelds work as well if not better than panel mounts if setup correctly. Proper antenna, proper power filter and proper intercom/headsets is all that is required. We have yet to have a triker send our gear back for their money to be returned - that is after over 500 worldwide.

A handheld with an Airmagic Chatterbox and no need for a helmet gives us perfect comms where pilot and passenger can whisper to one another. We use active noise cancellation and not reduction.

Ian retails the Airmagic Gear for handhelds and panel mounts (we cracked the problems with the output circuits and side-tones of the Microair and the Xcom late last year) for under $1,500 all in - this includes Vee Rabbit Antenna, Powerbox, Chatterbox and Pilot/Passenger Headsets. All you need is a $300 handheld to complete the package for perfect comms. And you do not need a unwieldy helmet to divert noise...only if you are worried you will crack your noggin whilst landing.

We have also had heaps of success making the Microairs audible now with the Chatterbox with great reports from users.

Now we also manufacture replacement headsets for the Lynx System for less than the cost of changing the internal batteries...for those who want to keep their Lynx.. when the Lynx intercom goes, we have a full replacement without having to purchase a whole system.

Regards

Perry

Guest Andys@coffs
Hiya Scotty et al,Andy, sorry mate, absolute piffle. Handhelds work as well if not better than panel mounts if setup correctly. Proper antenna, proper power filter and proper intercom/headsets is all that is required. We have yet to have a triker send our gear back for their money to be returned - that is after over 500 worldwide.

.... We use active noise cancellation and not reduction.

.... And you do not need a unwieldy helmet to divert noise...only if you are worried you will crack your noggin whilst landing.

Perry

If your setup means that a handheld works well.... then fantastic. As I originally said, search the forums for handheld and you'll see there are many issues that seem to repeat over and over. Sure they may relate to the right antenna and its placement, the right headset / intercom the right place to hold your tongue and just about anything else attached to the trike...... My experience is historical and as such maybe things have changed for the better. Historically the handhelds were a compromise to meet a certain need, the panel mounts didnt suffer the same compromise. Then again the size on the X-air / Microair in reality isnt that much different to a handheld these days. I do accept that your recent experience trumps my historical experience..

Helmet...... Here's another fine example of differing experiences driving different needs...... Ok, I'll accept that above the tropic of capricorn a helmet is optional (noggin protection aside) down south it perform another valuable task....It stops yer head from freezing and snapping off for well over 50% of the year...

Noise reduction vs noise cancellation...tomatos tomata's .... the earphones I use and spoke of sample noises inside the ear and work to try and cancel the low freq repetitive noise. the outcome is a reduction in the noise level but not total cancellation.... lets call that reality vs marketing shall we.... The manufacturer of the headsets calls the added capability ANR I can live with that...In terms of turning off the mic via a switch, now thats real noise reduction, albeit at an operational impact.

Anyway... back to our normal programing and piffle generation....

Andy..

PS

> (we cracked the problems with the output circuits and side-tones of the Microair and the Xcom late last year)

Exactly what problem did you crack? Seems to me that Im unaware of any "output circuits" (display outputs?, audio outputs? RF outputs?) issues or any sidetone issues with either the Microair or the X air transceivers?