Hello together! Can you help me?

Guest Downhillbird

Guest Downhillbird

Hi all,

first of all...I am really happy to be in Australia and found this fourm!exclamation.gif.7a55ce2d2271ca43a14cd3ca0997ad91.gif :big_grin::big_grin::big_grin:

My name is Stefan, I am 23 years old and an mechanical engineering student from germany, performing an industrial internship in Clayton until end of February.

I am a Glider and Touringmotorglider Flightinstructor with Aerobaticrating and Ultralightpilot. But only german licences 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Right now I stay in Clayton/Melbourne and I would like to fly a bit here in this really great country.

Maybe some of you can help me finding an opportunity to hire an aircraft and have some nice flights?question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

My most flown powered aircrafts are, beside a lot of gliders, SF25C, Remos G3 and Eurostar (Sportstar).

Furthermore I am a really big helicopter enthusiastic...but with my small student sallary.....I keep dreaming! :-)

Best Regards :thumb_up:

Stefan

Stefan, if you haven't got any answers yet, send me a PM and I'll try to put you in touch with a friend of mine from the UK recently immigrated here as an aero engineer and in a similar situation. He flies at Bacchus Marsh and had a look at Sportstars at Moorabbin.

What company do you work for?

Guest basscheffers

Your best bet is probably Recreational Aviation Australia (RA-Aus) which oversees ultralights. Most people here are members.

That is the cheapest way to flying Jabirus, Sportstars, etc. If you want to solo, you'll have to be a member, though I have no idea how much of your hours in Europe they accept.

It costs $160/year to be a member (not good value if you plan to leave in Feb!) and expect to pay around $180/hour for dual and $120-140 for hire & fly.

Check out their website with a list of schools (and use Google maps to see where they are!) although I am sure some locals will respond here to give you advice. Or even take you for you ride!

Not sure who to turn to for glider flying!

Your nearest airfield is TYABB probably an hour's (easy ) drive to get to, on the Mornington peninsular. There are about 5 ultralights for hire. But I don't know about the licence situation...If you are there and see my Blue/White Jodel make yourself known to me and we can go for a squirt.....Geoffrey

Guest palexxxx
Your nearest airfield is TYABB probably an hour's (easy ) drive to get to, on the Mornington peninsular.

Hello and welcome Stefan,

Surely the airfield that's between Dingley Village and Mentone and only 5 km from Clayton would be the closest one. Could it be Moorabbin?

Guest Ken deVos
I don't think you can fly from Moorabbin without PPL. The Sportstars of the RVAC are VH registered.

I think the Royal Victorian Aero Club (RVAC) at Moorabbin and also at Coldstream now offer RAA training in the Sportstars at both locations.

Stefan, you should also check out Tooradin and Lilydale airfields for Jabiru aircraft.

Guest Downhillbird

Hi all,

thanks for your answers! :thumb_up:

I´ve been at Moorabbin and RVAC last Saturday but they were very busy because of a young eagles event. But I spoke shortly to their CFI and he said that they have no ultralights to hire.

Lilydale Airport and Tyabb is a bit a problem to reach by public transport (I´m a student without a car :clown:).

Tooradin looks very very good, what a great location!

I´ll mail them to see how to get there by public transport.

If anybody has more additional ideas please let me know.

Thanks to all of you!

Stefan

Getting to Tyabb

It is easy to get to Tyabb, you get on the train at Morrabbin and get off at Tyabb, then 10 minutes walk to the Airfield. Forget getting anywhere else. Too difficult. You have to change trains at Frankston, Just get the times of trains from the 'net. Should take less than an hour. I have done it several times. Tyabb has Gazelles and a 6 cylinder 230 Jabiru. Very reasonable prices. Very skinny and quite long North/South runway..Lots of antiques and ex military aeroplanes. I'm sure you'll like it. If I see you I can practice my German on you!...Geoff

Guest Downhillbird

Thanks Geoff!

That sounds pretty good! I hope we see us on weekend at Tyabb :-)

Does anybody know something about Sunbury?

• 3 months later...

Hi Stefan, sounds like you have been missed lead. RVAC does have recreational aircraft for hire, as I hire them at Coldstream. RVAC Moorabbin does not have any RAAus registered aircraft and those that are there you will require a PPL with control airspace endorsement.

The hire rate at Coldstream is very reasonable at $130 an hour for a non member. They have a Jabiru J160C and a Tecnam P92 Super Echo.

Alternatively if you are keen to take the train (VLINE) to Bendigo (http://www.bendigoflyingclub.org) you can hire a Tecnam P92 Super Echo there for $115 an hour.

Hope this helps!

Guest Downhillbird

Hi LEJ!

Thanks for your answere.

To my shame I have to admit that I don't have one take off in Australia yet. thumb_down

It´s to late now to validate my licence, that wouldn't make sence anymore.

But now my last 4 weeks in Melbourne started, the last rent is already paid, the work is not that busy anymore and I hope that I can have some nice flights with an australian instructor - just to get my *** in the australian air! :big_grin:

Cheers!

Guest drizzt1978

Once you get flying, you could arrange a fly at tooradin at the same time I do, (might take some foward planning) catch a train out to Hallam (near my work) and we could go to tooradin together...(as long as you arent a murdering type)031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif031_loopy.gif.791dd61f4721144544bc840fb53eec3f.gif

Hi Stefan, I can trump all of the previous offers and give you a ride from Clayton to Tooradin on Saturday or Sunday and I can take you for a fly, or you can watch me work on my plane for free, or you can book a lesson with the school.

I live in Clayton and if you are at the uni I'm probably only 5 mins walk from where you live.

Whilst I will be going there this weekend it might be a bit hot for flying as the forecast is 40+ and we all know Jabiru's can't be flown in over 40 degrees 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Altertively you can drop in and we can discuss the joys of RA-Aus over an orange juice.

Tooradin is the closest airfield to Clayton aside from Moorabbin, and is 36 minutes drive, but as others have stated is not good for public transport. Alternatively one of the instructors could probably pick you up on the way past from Brighton.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Fly out of Tooradin on a regular basis and live in Pakenham. PM me if you need a lift on a saturday.

Cranbourne train and then vline bus to tooradin. If you speak nicely to the driver he will drop across the road from the airstrip.

Train to Pakenham and bus to Kooweerup.

Gibbo