Keeping it straight on landing

Chucky

We need an instructor here to explain what happens in a tricycle undercarriage aircraft like the Jabiru with the nose wheel linked to the rudder pedals.

Think about it. Most landings have a small crosswind component so where has the rudder pedals got the front wheel pointing when you touch down on the mains only hopefully in any sort of a crosswind or nil x-wind. What doesn't help the learner is that you usually cannot see the rudder pedals or an indicator telling you where they are.

The aircraft is almost a land vehicle with the mains on the ground and now being steered by the rudder. Where is the front wheel pointing now in the X-wind with only the mains on the ground.

So where have the rudder pedals got to have the front wheel pointing when it eventually touches down.

No one ever spelled out to me exactly what happens at this vital point in landing a tricycle undercarriage a/c and it took me a long time to work it out as I did most of my early flying in gliders most of which were tail draggers.

Nosewheel direction.

Ross has a point here. IF the rudder is displaced and the nosewheel is connected to it, then there will be an effect WHEN the nosewheel contacts the ground.

IF you always land on the mains and keep the nosewheel OFF the runway, this will be no problem, and I have always found this to be the best technique. As well as introducing a directional input that may cause difficulties, you will be putting a big side load on the nosewheel structure, and all nosewheels should be treated as delicate, particularly those on lightweight aircraft. Nev