Victor One

dlps73

Hi Doug,

Great video, well done 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif. Looks like you're a tad above 500 in parts? I often fly V1, did you have to get clearance to duck in through the heads like that? What would I need to do to take a Harbour scenic flight on one of my trips?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

The actual Victor 1 500' sector is between South Head and Jibbon Point, before and after that it varies up to 2500'.

If you look at the Sydney VTC you can see that as long as R473 is inactive you can swing around North Head, duck into Manly Wharf and following the same track, swing out again as long as you avoid R405B.

And I'm pretty sure you need to file a plan and get a clearance (from Sydney Control) for a Harbour Bridge flight. I always assumed that was PPL territory?

But I must admit that being able to crawl along at 65 knots makes Victor 1 a real blast from a viewing perspective.

Next time you do V1 give us a call - we'll do it in formation! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers.........Doug

Thanks for the info Doug. I'll have to make that Manly Wharf diversion sometime, looks interesting and would make for a good platform for pics of the harbour. I've logged plans for the Harbour scenic a couple of times now (yeah, have PPL) but each time ATC sets me up on a holding pattern over LRF keeping me hanging for up to 10 minutes or more. In both cases I just quit to get on with the trip.

Formation up V1 sounds a buzz but 65kt ... gads, I usually rip up the coast at 120kt (in a hurry to get there as 3+ hours is plenty enough for the bladder).

Paul

Guest weekendwarrior

Great video ! Was wondering too about that diversion to Manly Wharf, looked at the VTC, indeed good stuff :thumb_up:

There is indeed a need for a clearance to orbit above the harbour (1500ft, east of the bridge and north of the opera house), this is class C airspace, you gotta request a "Harbour Scenic One" to be eventually granted two orbits.

Weather permitting, I will be flying a V1 down to Wollongong tomorrow with my instructor (have done one years ago flying right seat in a Duchess, was awesome, this time I get to do it left seat in the Archer) 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest weekendwarrior
WW - I think the weather isn't going to be the best until at least Friday - goodluck anyrate.Cheers.........Doug

It was a no-go thumb_down

We went instead for some IFR in the Duchess, I was just a passenger but it was still good to witness the amount of workload involved flying IFR approaches in a twin (VOR then NDB approach into Maitland, an ILS to Williamstown then another NDB back into Bankstown), I learned a lot just watching, it makes flying the Warrior VFR looks very sedate.

As for Victor One, well it's rescheduled for Thursday next week. Fingers crossed....

Victor 1 is good fun, especially when the whales are migrating!

Just a thought about Manly ... the Class C LL is 1,000 feet. I know Manly is a coastal spot and quite low in elevation, but if we must remain 1000 feet above built up areas, it may not actually be legal.

It could still be done while sticking to the rules by tracking in through the heads and remaining over water and 600m laterally from infrastructure ... but would make for a pretty tight turn out from the wharf. But hey, that's one of the fringe benefits of flying smaller than average aircraft ... from the ground they look much higher than actual ;).

Cheers,

Paul