Microair - MP3 & CD

kevinfrost

I tried using my MP3 with the radio fitted to our 120. The result being a just audable signal which was shut down on transmit and stayed off. I queried Microair about it and they say the units require 1 Watt or more output or what ever is required to run the headset. Does anyone know of small pre amps or some other fix for this problem.

Frosty

Hi Frosty,

We use an apple ipod with our microair radio, and the signal is not as loud as the signal from the headphones supplied with the ipod but is loud enough to listen too through the headsets in the plane, does it make any difference if you disconnect one set of headphones,(does the signal get louder) maybe a different brand of headset might not require as much power to receive a signal. Good luck

Brian

Although I don't have a Microair radio, I purchased a music input adaptor from Barn Stormer Audio. It has the preamp required with auto mute option so you don't miss any radio calls. It runs off a 9V battery, but I modified mine to run off the planes 12V.

I'm running it with a Icom A22 radio and so far I'm pretty happy with its performance.

Barnstormer Audio - Aviation Headset Portable MP3 Music Adapter

cheers Al

I used to have something that would be perfect. It came from a music shop and it was for an electric guitar. It was around $45 and ran on a 9-volt battery. The idea of it is so that you can play your electric guitar using a set of headphones as electric guitars don't usually have a pre-amp installed. So if you have an Allans music shop or similar they might be able to help, otherwise sounds like a Jaycar project perhaps.

Thanks, Brian, Linda, Al & brentc for you ideas. The unit I'm using is a cheap small mp3 unit with about a 4 hr play time. I'm thinking it's output value is probably quite a bit less than the likes of the Apple. Brentcs idea was probably the cheapest way out and Al's the best at around $100. I think I'll borrow a better quallity unit, try it,and go from there. Thanks for your time::thumb_up:

Frosty

Or next time you could get an X-Com radio. The price is about the same and the VOX interphone seems to work much better. Any old Mp3 or CD seems O K, instant cutoff if the radio receives a transmission, pilot isolate and inter com off swt etc. It's transmit power is also slightly higher.

Not against Microair; I have two; the X-Com just works better.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi Kevin,

Jacar have what is called "Pre-Champ" versitile preamplifier.It is a kit which needs to be assembled,but it will certainly do the job. Jacar Cat. No KC5166 $7.95

Nelson